Has anyone been able to change the triangle blade out or manufacture a root rake to fit it? Not sure what the forestry dept. did to the original hardware... removing the triangle and going to a reg blade or rake maybe more trouble than making a rake to mount onto the blade. Anyone done this before? Insight or thoughts appreciated.
I think you could take the V blade off and adapt a root rake fairly easily. On the same idea adapting a normal dozer would give you a more versatile machine. A pin on root rake could go on a regular blade. Making a root rake for the V blade might be more work that making one to replace the V blade.
Yes, thought about that too. Was hoping to get some insight on what they altered on the machine to see what is going to be my best option...no sure what is going to be functional or available to hook up hydraulic to. The tractor is super strong and incredibly low hours. I can't afford a 6 way to replace it, so trying to figure best option.
An angle blade should be able to be adapted to use the existing C frame. I would imagine your machine would be in very good condition since it was built for a specific purpose and used by the forestry service. Would need a good welder and some basic engineering but I think an angle blade off an older D6 could be adapted and not be too costly. It could be hyd. angling too if your dozer already has the extra functions on the hyd. valve. I see blades at the RB auction and at used equipment yards all the time. You could look on machinery trader for used blades. Might even find a good deal on a blade made for your machine. Ie/ a burnt machine could still have a good blade and the owner wants to get what ever he can out of it.