Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5K LGP In the market for a dozer again!

CatToy ยท 2016-02-18 20:21

I am wanting another dozer to work on ponds and level and landscape the ground on my property. Locally, I have found two D5Ks, attached are pictures of a 2008 with with a little over 6K hours and I think a systemone undercarriage for around $60K. The other is a 2012 D5K2 with 3.5K hours with much better track condition for around $85K (I did not have my phone with me when I looked at it so no pics yet). Both are cabbed and in really good shape. I might put 200 hrs a year on it over the next 5 years. What would be a better buy ? Background info, I just sold my D4H, I really liked it but it was just under powered for anything but grading a road or lot on level ground as it just could not push anything up my slopes on my property.

Replies10
  1. #1Outlaw73172016-02-19 19:41

    Sprockets look ok, pads not so much. Seeing as you said you work on slopes I'd want as much traction as possible, and at ~$40 a pad you've got some money tied up in repairs before you even put it to work

  2. #2old-iron-habit2016-02-19 20:48

    Sprocket looks good. The only good way to check track chain wear is to measure distance over 5 pins, 4 links, center to center. Your Cat dealer can tell you amount of wear left or post the dimension here. A few of the good folks on here have access to the charts. Back the machine up to have the track tight on top with the slop out of it when measuring.

  3. #3d9gdon2016-02-19 21:04

    I've got about zero experience with System Done u/c but the sprockets look to be around 25% to me. The bottom rollers are definitely worn out from the wear pattern on the rails and the rails and pads look to be about the same as the sprockets. I think I'd keep looking.

  4. #4nowing752016-02-19 21:45

    That gap between the pin and the rail I believe is a bad sign as the seals are probly leaking.

  5. #5caterpillarmech2016-02-19 21:49

    Personally I would stay away from system one as well. That machine is due for a set of rails at 6000 hours and possible on its second set. I know in central Texas we have a lot of rock and sand. My machines never seemed to make it past 2500 hours with out some sort of problem with system one.

  6. #6Twisted2016-02-19 22:08

    No help here on the UC but a D5K has about the same HP as your D4H did. You might want to look at other options if the 4 wasn't enough dozer for you.

  7. #7CatToy2016-02-20 07:11

    Thanks all, some good points. I am in no hurry, it will be mid summer before it dries out enough to move dirt. I also looked a nice 2011 JD550J with on 2.2K hours in the same price range, tracks look good but no cab. How does that compare to the D5K? The only reason I like Cats is I have a dealer 4 miles away, so if I need something it is available. Local JD equipment dealer bought out by tractor dealer, they really do not care to help with equipment anymore.

  8. #8Nige2016-02-20 09:58

    Another vote to stay as far away from SystemOne as possible until Cat get it right - which based on the fact they're currently on about the 5th iteration of the system so far it appears as though they haven't done it yet ........

  9. #9DoyleX2016-02-20 20:24

    Right on the money! With those short grousers your not going to be happy pushing period. Horsepower is one thing. You need ground pressure to do anything with it. Then ask yourself if the underfoot will support it.

  10. #10Dozerboy2016-02-22 12:58

    You need a 650-700 Deere to match up to a D5. If I where you I would be looking at a little older G. They where pushing sobs. Also lpg don't push like a narrow pad will.