Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5K Opinion

linc_man ยท 2012-06-18 19:21

Im looking into a 5k and was wanting some opinions on them. I have never ran a flat track for more than a day. I really like the diff steer on our D6N but for a second dozer they are pretty pricey. The 5k's seem to be priced very fairly.

Replies5
  1. #1dirtmonkey2012-06-18 19:53

    I have one and love it ! I've never ran any of the high tracks but have owned or ran Komatsu , Deere , and d5g' s. what are your questions ? Maybe I can answer them intelligently ?

  2. #2d9gdon2012-06-18 21:18

    I like the D5G better. Seems like they had more power and I liked the way the cab and controls was laid out. The D5K cab is a whole lot more quiet, but I hate the roller wheel for the blade angle. It gives me a blister on my thumb without wearing gloves. What was wrong with twisting the blade lever to angle the blade?? Seems like Cat changed it just for the sake of change without thinking of the operator.

  3. #3dirtmonkey2012-06-18 21:44

    Really ? Not to be argumentative, but Ive never gotten a blister on the thumb rollers and I've had mine since new in 08. I like the rollers. Feels more precise. Lord knows when the electronics crap out I probably won't like it then ,but so far so good. Jmho

  4. #4d9gdon2012-06-19 09:46

    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the roller wheel but that's just my preference. I loved the hydraulic reversible fan that cycles every 15 minutes or so and the way the grill opens up to access the radiator. Those were on a D6K though, I guess it's the same on a 5? Those are the kinds of changes I like that Cat did with them.

  5. #5dirtmonkey2012-06-19 21:25

    Not on mine. Can't recall if it was an option or not, but yes that would be nice. So would a new 6k to go along with the 5