Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5M

Coy Lancaster ยท 2017-06-07 09:21

I'm working on a Cat D5M doze. I replaced the starter and when I started the machine it wouldn't shut down. I disconnected all wires but still wouldn't shutoff, I had to starve it for fuel to get it to shut down. I checked all electrical connections and found one wire for fuel solenoid was not in the right place I connected it to terminal for starter motor and it would start and shut down but when it shut down it kept the starter engaged. I disconnected the wire but now the engine won't start at all. It will crank over but I think the fuel solenoid is not working. Is there a way to test the silenoud, I've checked all fuses and replaced any that were blown.

Replies3
  1. #1Welder Dave2017-06-07 12:40

    Did you have the starter rebuilt, if so take it back for warranty. My starter did the same thing and they found it had gotten a moisture inside and things were hanging up because of rust. If I disconnected the battery cable the starter would disengage and not be turning when I put the cable back on but then on start up would keep turning until the battery cable was disconnected.

  2. #2DMiller2017-06-07 17:26

    Sounds that you have crossed something electrically. Should be NO fuel supply solenoid wiring fed to or from the starter, should be a hot feed off the main lug of the starter to the control switch to start but not stay hot back to the starter.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2017-06-07 18:37

    You can test the solenoid by getting a long wire w/ alligator clips & clip it to the sol. & the + on the battery. You should here a click..