My 2000 D5MXL makes a clunk when turning? Seems like it is right at the time the steering brakes engage. Is this normal?
sounds like your steering clutches and brakes are gone, I have a d5hxl that was doing close to that and had to replace clutches and brakes
Is yours a diff steer or does it matter
Steers great?
Does it steer smooth when grading next to a curb or is it jerky?
How many hours on the machine..?
hi, What is your serial number. assuming it is a finger tip machine I would do the calibration procedures for the brake and clutch Mark
What is the condition of the undercarriage? are the tracks in proper adjustment? Worn sprocket segments and worn pins will make "clunks" too. And yes a recalibration could be in order. Had a D6M and bought my own Clicker box to do re-cals about once a month.
Smooth
8700 hours
6gno1571
Under carriage is great, tracks my be a bit tight though
Ok, just asking, a little tight is better than loose trying to diagnose something like this.
Can you confirm the answer to Mark's question. Is the tractor equipped with differential steering or is it a fingertip control steering clutch & brake setup..?
Think it is finger tip, two tabs steer machine. Not sure how to tell the difference
If you're not sure which type of steering control you have, which one of the illustrations below represents what is on your machine..?
It would be the second picture
OK, so you have fingertip controls as we suspected. Back to post #7 by Mark250 the next suggested step would be to do a calibration of the steering clutches and brakes for both sides of the machine. This will require a 4C-8195 Service Tool (aka the Click Box) and the necessary service procedures that we can help you with. Take a look at this link and figure out if you think you are capable of doing this work yourself or whether you might want to get someone with experience to do it for you. HeavyEquipmentForums
I can not do this myself but I can try and get someone that has the experience. Thank you very much SIR
If whoever you hire to do this work needs technical information regarding test specifications, pressures, etc, etc, please post back here and someone will help you out. The information is available.
Yes I would like to get the test specs, pressures etc. Thank you
I think this should include everything. The first question question you should ask whoever you are thinking of hiring to do this job is "Do you have a Click Box..?" If the answer is a blank look or a "Huh..?" - walk away, better still - run ...........
Nige, greetings from South Texas (finally got 8" of rain). I have always admired your professionalism and willingness to help. You Sir are a Scholar and fine gentleman! I must admit my ignorance, what is a "Click Box"? '
Thanks but what is a click box
A click box plugs into the machine and sends commands to the machine's electronic modules through a series of momentary toggle switches, uses the machine electronics to diagnose and calibrate. Bought mine on Ebay for $130 bucks. You do need instucyions for your specific machine.
I apologise, maybe I was being too cryptic. I posted a link in post #18 on Page 1 to a thread where a guy had been walked through the procedure for doing calibrations on a similar machine. I then asked the OP if he was capable of doing that same work himself or would he hire someone in to do the job. The thread (see specifically post #37 from Mark250) explained all about the 4C-8195 Service Tool (aka Click Box), it showed how to make one and gave all the instructions for using it. I assumed that the OP had read that link and figured out that the work required was outside his comfort zone before he answered me saying that he would hire someone experienced to do the job. Here is the link again ........ HeavyEquipmentForums This particular tool is well-known in the Cat world. Nobody calls it a 4C-8195, everyone calls it a Click Box ...... therefore if you are thinking of hiring someone to do this type of job and they give you a blank look or a "Huh?" when you ask about a Click Box, then do not hire that someone because it is certain he has neither the tools nor the level of competence necessary to do the required work.