I recently purchased a d5m dozer, its been working nicely until today it didn't want to move on a steep bank in reverse. it would crawl in 1st no movement in 2nd or 3rd. I pushed some dirt forward and reverse was very weak in 1st so I parked it and began investigating. I parked it on the level and checked all fluids pulled the floor and found the filters, all of which were changed before I bought it. So started it and put blade down put in 3rd and reverse and no movement but the driveshaft from the engine to the trans started spinning and loaded up a bit then stopped did the same in 2nd however the machine moved some in 2nd no at all in 3rd. So I am more thinking I have a Clutch issue if there is one in the "bellhousing" as you can see I am very inexperienced with dozers. I will order a manual and finger out how to check the service codes as I have on blinking on the dash. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Depending on how steep it was it may be sucking air even if it was at the right levels, Cat used to have an over fill capacity on most of their dozer when working on slopes over 45 degrees. Might be in the operators manual somewhere or others on here may know a bit more. I know Hanomag were one machine that u had to over fill the tranny coz if it lost trans pressure the brakes would come on and u be stuck in an awkward place, brakes were spring applied and trans oil pressure held them off.
First - post a Serial Number. It helps to get accurate infomation. Second - you said you don't have a manual. You have a $?? thousand dozer and can't fork out $50 for a manual. ***..?? Again give the Serial Number and I can show you how to download one from Cat. How did you check the transmission oil level..? Engine stopped or running..? We'll get to the Service Codes in a bit. Let's get the basics checked first.
Here's one idea, have you looked on the back of the seat to see if there is a manual in a pouch there? Not sure about dozers but for years Cat put an operators manual for the front end loaders back there and most had a cable attached to it so it should not get lost! The bare minimum I feel for anyone who owns a machine like that should have is a operators/maintenance manual and parts book. For around $150.00 you can have both on CD within a few minutes And when you consider just changing the air filters, engine fuel and oil filters, and transmission filter will cost you around $85 dollars and that doesn't count the cost of oil! And it is a one time purchase that will pay for itself in time saved many times over. Once you have the operators/maintenance manual read a few pages each day and before you know it you will be the one answering questions here instead of the one asking them!
Better still, with a credit card you can download Adobe pdf versions of the Parts Manual and the O&M Manual for even less than $150 and have them immediately....!!
Well I was taking in to account the OP might not have highspeed internet!
Thanks guys I am new and trying to get a manual and the service manual also best price I have found is 445 for the service manual on cd. Serial number is 6gno1987 And high speed from frontier communications but its as fast as dial up. lol
The machine was off on a level surface when I checked the trans oil. And thank you very much for the help in advance.
Engine stopped or running..?
The first thing you need is an O&M Manual. Go to https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears click on "Continue as Guest" Type SEBU6886 into the box at the top of the page and click Search. The illustration below is what you should see at the top of the page. $46 for a downloadable pdf, the same price +S&H for a CD version, or $55 +S&H for a paper manual.
For a Parts Manual follow the same procedure as above but type SEBP2498 into the box. The illustration below is what you should see. Prices on the illustration as before.
A Service Manual is going to be a bit more difficult (and more expensive). Cat does not sell these manuals online. The best I could find was a brand-new version on CD (pdf format) for $475. Search places like eBay for Caterpillar Publication reference SENR8480. My opinion is that I would acquire the O&M and Parts Manuals ASAP, and start searching for a Service Manual. One is bound to pop up at some point. Anthoer point well worth making is that neither the O&M or Parts Manuals are included in a Service Manual therefore you are looking at a minimum of three separate purchases to obtain a full set of manuals.
I would suggest you find someone local that can provide some technical expertise with your new purchase. The "M" series of dozers were known for problems with electronic components, particularly speed sensors on the transmission. Also what you describe on the drive line indicates possible slippage in the transmission which in most cases requires removal and tear down. I would not recommend oil and filter changes pertaining to the transmission at least until a knowledgable mechanic was there to look the machine over first.
Engine off And Thanks for the manuals I will order them today and will get the service manual when I can find it
Wrooooooooong ..........!! Oil level is checked with the engine at low idle, transmission in neutral, and the powertrain oil at normal operating temperature. See below - and note carefully the " Note " Open the access cover. Check dipstick (1) when the engine is running at low idle and the oil is at operating temperature. Maintain the oil between the "LOW" mark and the "FULL" mark. Note: When you are operating the machine on severe slopes, the quantity of oil in the transmission can be increased up to 10 percent. When you are operating with the increased oil quantity, prolonged operation in some machines can cause high transmission oil temperatures. After the work on the severe slopes has been completed, drain the excessive oil quantity from the transmission.
Completely agree, but there is a load of initial diagnostics that can be done before it gets to that stage IMHO. Once we had the OP sorted out with at least an O&M Manual I was planning on starting to work on the Diagnostic Codes that he mentioned right at the start. Maybe now is the time, although TBH there is a lot of info on how to access Diagnostic Codes contained in the O&M. Once he has that, the OP can start to do some bedtime reading before a toolbox gets opened........
Ok when I am done baling hay I will do some more grading and warm it up and check it, I was unaware it was to be checked while idling. Good news is I learned Something and am not dead today. A competent mechanic in this neck of the woods is like a hens tooth, I own it I'll break it and fix it. lol one way or the other but unless necessary cat wont be called out. I can troubleshoot and change parts with best of them and with a shop manual and some help from the online community I will be just fine. I was relieved to see the driveshaft going to the transmission not turning and after talking with a friend it sounds like the thing hooked to the motor is in fact a HYD pump. Anyone care to verify that? again It was warm ran for an couple hrs pushing dirt and would not reverse very well or at all in 2nd or 3rd. I later pulled the floor pan and that's when I saw the driveshaft load up and then stop would turn slowly in 1st. Thanks again for the help
An "M" series dozer is a torque converter with power shift transmission. You just made my point about someone knowledgeable to help you through the learning curve. They don't have to be someone from Cat or even a dealer. Just a person who knows something about construction machines.
Here's the basic Systems Operation overview of the D5M Power Train to get you started.
Well baling didn't go as planned so the dozer never got started but will later today, I will run it today to fix a washout in the hayfield so we can mow that one next and that will get it warm. I will report back later today
Ok so I have the Manuals all but the service manual and I also want one for the winch that's on it soon. I have a bunch of codes not sure which are active on archived trying to finger out how to clear them Last night I had something up on a service tool but cant find it this afternoon. If I can decipher it I'll build it unless its better to buy one?
OK I got to run it for a bit after reading how to tell active codes, With the machine in park active code was 113 70.02 and with it in out of park and moving it came up with 113 190.02. Where is this service tool connector located? Thanks
Here is the clicker box video and I believe I put in where the connection is for it. Good Luck!
Look in the Shop Talk forum. A thread on the Click Box is pinned right at the top. Believe it or not but you can clear logged codes with nothing more than 2 pieces of 18swg automotive cable if you don’t have the resources or time to buy/build a Click Box.
I will have a hour or 2 this morning to work on/with the dozer thanks for the info I'll report back with my findings and see where it leads me.
Regarding the 113.20.02 Code that is active with the Park Brake applied but disappears when it is released....... Check out the illustration below. When the switch is in the Park position the ECM needs to see continuity between Pin 19 and Pin 15, and open circuit between Pin 13 and Pin 15. When the switch is in the released position the ECM needs to see continuity between Pin 13 and Pin 15, and open circuit between Pin 19 and Pin 15. My thought is that there is a probably a broken wire or bad connector between Pin 19 of the ECM and terminal #3 of the Park Brake Switch via Wire #419 Yellow if the Code is Active with the switch in Park but not with it in Release.
thanks for the assistance gentlemen, Nige was spot on as he stated above. I had some corrosion on the connector and I had a bad Engine speed sensor. I still am having codes that pop up but don't stay Have to decide on whether to by/build the clicker box or purchase the laptop computer software. I have a 262b and am planning a tracked machine and also a mini ex in the next couple years so it almost makes sense to go with the software. But time will tell. I did a oil filter change and put a solid hour of heavy pushing and she never skipped a beat so hoping I have the issue corrected, again thanks for the assistance.
On that series of machine you will get transient codes all the time. The key is when they stay in the active condition.
that's a very valuable thing to know. Thanks for the tip