Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5N Hydraulic Oil Sensor Location

JS430 ยท 2026-07-25 21:27

Anyone know where the hydraulic oil temp sensor is located? The gauge never moves off zero so thought I'd start at the sending unit. I went through the Cat diagrams and never found the location. I found the sender but no diagram showing it's location. I'd guess it's at the tank?

Replies8
  1. #1pittsburgh cat man2026-07-25 21:47

    Number 11 is what I believe you are looking for

  2. #2JS4302026-07-25 22:04

    Thanks. I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm used to looking at prints, drawings, and P&IDs but these Cat diagrams get me.Really just the finding what I'm after part.

  3. #3JS4302026-07-25 22:09

    found it! It was on page 2.

  4. #4Nige2026-07-26 05:42

    Question: Does the fuel gauge work OK.? To confirm your theory of a faulty temp sensor try a simple test. Unplug the sensor connector and install a jumper between the two pins on the machine side of the harness. Turn the key ON. Does the gauge max out.? If it does then your theory of a defective sensor is correct. If it doesn't then most likely a wiring fault or faults exists. The sensor might also be bad but the wiring fault would have to be fixed first before moving on to test the sensor.

  5. #5JS4302026-07-26 08:57

    Thanks Nige if the sensor is connected that would be my next question. A little back story. After having this dozer for over a year I finally ran it for maybe 45 minutes and blew a hydraulic line to the left angle cylinder. Replaced the hose filled with fluid and cycled everything. Ran for another 15 minutes and started hearing an odd clicking type noise from the hydraulic tank area and blade seemed a touch slow. I stopped and the tank was in the red. Added 2 gallons to top it off and all seemed fine again but only ran it a few minutes more. I didn't see any leaks but parked it on fresh dirt and will look today. During all of this the hydraulic temp gauge barely moved at all. Could be the tank was never full enough? We'll see I guess. I'm not to sure I'll keep this dozer or not yet. I just pushing up burned brush piles while it's to windy to spray pastures so don't have time to run it all day right now.

  6. #6Nige2026-07-26 09:21

    You probably had a bunch of air in the circuit as a result of the hose failure. Filling the tank then having to top it off again after having exercised the hydraulics would not be surprising under those circumstances.

  7. #7JS4302026-07-31 09:40

    I've ran the dozer for a few hours since this hose blew and everything seems to be working fine now. The strange clicking noise went away and fluid is staying at top level in the sight glass. I tried getting the connector loose to test the temp gauge like Nige described but no luck as it's stuck pretty good. I've watched several videos on D5 and 6N's and in all of them the hydraulic temp guage is at or near the bottom. Is this normal? It's been 100* days here and after 45 minutes of running the gauge did move a touch. I'm just pushing up burned brush piles so not working hard. I hate to get to indepth on something that's not an issue. Everything else seems to be working fine.

  8. #8Nige2026-07-31 09:55

    Do you have a non-contact thermometer.? If so why not shoot the temperature of the hydraulic tank after the machine has been working for a few hours.?