I have a 05 model D5N XL (I did not get serial number. I can tomorrow) Machine has been cutting through and pushing limestone rock for the past month. Today while tracking across the site every dash light other than the 2nd and 5th on the top row (no emblems left as it is open cab) came on, buzzer started going off, lost coolant temp gauge, lost tach reading, and it is stuck in auto shift Dozer still runs great and is still able to be worked but I’m wondering what way I should proceed in diag on it All fuses appear to be good, will double check with multimeter tomorrow and all grounds appear to be intact I do not have access to CAT ET but have unhooked the batteries overnight just as a long shot even though I doubt it will do anything I am assuming it is either a broken wire or loose connection. I did find a similar issue on another site but the only suggestion was to disconnect ecm wiring and ohm every wire to find the break and no fix listed Thanks for any advice on the matter
Get a schematic and start looking for shorted or loose wires.
That's easy to say but it needs a Serial Number first, and to make it worse there are breaks in prefixes. I count 5 different electrical schematics. Attached is some info on the Monitor and what all the warning lights mean. it was a stab in the dark and if your machine panel does not look like this then I'll need a S/No.
I just get tired of telling people to provide a serial haha. I wonder if they could change the forum to require one before posting a new thread.
But in the OP's defence he did apologize for not providing one and undertook to supply it tomorrow.
Thank you for the attachment it is the correct one every light but the electrical system, engine oil pressure, fuel level and coolant level are on. I do believe the serial begins in AGG but I am not 100% on that
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. The attachment was from an AGG-prefix Operator Manual. Unfortunately there are 4 different electrical schematics for an AGG tractor depending on the exact Serial Number so you're going to have to come up with that. Is the rectangular "window" in the lower left Monitor panel still working or has it gone on the fritz as well.?
Only thing working correctly are the gauges minus the coolant temp it will read correctly until you start the machine and then it dies shortly after and then all the lights come on
In hat case turn the key in but do not start the engine. Does the SERV CODE icon remain lit after the panel completes the self test.?
Serial number is AGG01979 Serv code icon does not remain lit after self test
Electrical schematic on the way. So on that basis everything behaves fine until you start the engine.? Battery connections tight & clean.? Have you tested the alternator output voltage yet.?
That is correct Alternator voltage is 27.9 measuring off of positive connection on battery and negative terminal off master switch
Try measuring between the alternator + terminal and the frame. It should be the same but no harm in checking. I'm not sure what to suggest after that. This needs input from the electrical experts. Maybe once you get the schematic start pulling fuses for the gauges, monitor, etc, and see if there is any effect.?
Same reading measuring from alternator to frame I will double check fuses and then start scouring the wiring schematic to see if there is a common ground or main plug or junction for the issues
You may have to get in behind the dash panel and start disconnecting. For example the quad gauge has a 6-pin connector right behind it.
Machine good to go I pulled the fuse for the dash panel(one main fuse) and everything was back to normal other than dash working Replaced the fuse and unplugged the connector for the 4 gauge panel and everything worked perfectly Plugged the connector back and went to start tracing wires and everything was back to normal but the brake system light and serv code was illuminated I remembered someone had to make a wiring repair in the past below the floor panel. I opened the panel and found a loose connection (previous repair was 2 spade connectors put together that worked loose) repaired it and everything is 100% I’m guessing it is just a case of bad wiring repair and rough operating conditions Nige thank you for the assistance on the matter it is greatly appreciated
Excellent news. I would suggest that you get hold of some Deutsch connectors and pins and go back and re-do that “repair” properly before it bites you in the *** again. Even for single wire repairs Deutsch have what they call a Jiffy splice. You crimp a pin on one end of the broken wire and a socket on the other then simply pin both into the splice. Dirt, water, vibration and everything else proof. Not cheap though….. JFYSPL-KT1 - Deutsch Jiffy Splice Installer Kit The Jiffy Splice Installer Kit allows you to perform quick field repairs or installations in harnessing, automotive, agricultural, or aerospace applications. www.buydeutsch.com
I will definitely get a kit on the way. It’s cheaper than having a machine down because of a bad repair
To do the job the right way you will really need a Deutsch HD crimping tool and they are not cheap. About $400 for a genuine one although there are copies available for less. DT-BK-CK - DT, Installer Kit w/ HDT-48-00 Crimper, Black This Black Deutsch DT Series Installer Kit with Crimp Tool comes with a variety of plug and receptacle connectors, wedgelocks, and solid sockets and pins. www.buydeutsch.com
Dozer ran as it should for about 1.5hrs and then was shut down for 30 and about 5 minutes into running it the same problem has came back I’ve retraced every step I took previously and have came up with nothing It appears I fixed an unrelated issue I am going to start ohming wires to see if there are any breaks and will report back with my findings
I would check that repair again. Make sure the crimps are tight and then work your way from end to end making sure something else didn’t pull loose