Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6 9U repair problem – Compressing the tension spring

daxlw ยท 2010-04-12 12:51

Im not sure on my terminology but our 57 D6 9U Cat broke the "collar" that keeps the tension applied to the springs. The suspension sets inside this collar too. How do you remove it to repair?

Replies14
  1. #1daxlw2010-04-12 21:30

    It turns out the guide has broken. How do you take off the guide and replace it with a new one? The Cat dealer said it was very dangerous to take it off because the springs are so tight. Any ideas?

  2. #2DPete2010-04-12 21:49

    Are you talking about the recoil spring? that allows the idler to move to the rear ?

  3. #3FSERVICE2010-04-12 21:56

    which spring which spring are you trying to repair? the one on the track tensioner??

  4. #4watglen2010-04-13 07:45

    She's looking a bit cobbled up. Not the first time it's failed. I'ld say its time to fix it right. Keep the pics coming. Good luck.

  5. #5daxlw2010-04-13 09:06

    How do I fix it right? How do you remove it to replace it? Thats the big question. How do you keep the spring from decompressing? There is not enough room for it to come off.

  6. #6cps2010-04-13 09:22

    I think all you need to do is remove these 4 bolts with out decompressing the spring

  7. #7watglen2010-04-13 09:33

    I really have no idea how to take it apart, but based on the pictures i would guess that the adjusting shaft/screw is seized in the guide bushing that has the busted welds. Seems to me removing the track should release the spring tension, then pull those bolts, and it should nearly fall apart. After that, torch torch torch, grind grind grind, weld weld weld. Again, I have never done one or seen one apart. I can say with absolute certainty though that the torch, grinder, welder and sledge will all come into play hahaha. :drinkup good luck :notworthy

  8. #8John C.2010-04-13 19:46

    There is a through rod from the cap on the end of the spring going back through to the back of the spring. It is held in place by a cap plate and nut at the back of the spring. That nut is real big and if it is not there you got a whole lot of trouble. The rod on the front of the spring and the bracket generally hold the spring in line with the front idler yoke. I suspect the wear bars on the idler blocks are really bad to let the rod work up and down like that. I also see the side guides on the spring are also broken out. I would suggest you take photos of the back side of the spring showing the nut and plate. I would also be interested in seeing the front idler and yoke assembly to be able to get an idea of what you really have.

  9. #9grandpa2010-04-13 20:50

    Right on ol boy......your older than 50 bah ha

  10. #10John C.2010-04-13 21:52

    I might admit to just a day or so beyond

  11. #11watglen2010-04-13 22:26

    I wouldn't minds seeing those pictures too...

  12. #12alan627b2010-04-14 00:42

    Please be extremely careful working with those recoil springs, they can be killers! I'd register on the ACME Cat forum, and ask the question there as well. I know you'll get some good information there, the question has come up a number of times. Good luck with your repair. http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/ACME/Portal.asp http://www.antiquecaterpillar.net/ACF_v2/showthread.php?t=16511&highlight=recoil+springs http://www.antiquecaterpillar.net/ACF_v2/search.php?searchid=238142 You might have to register to see the pics. I hope this helps, Alan627b

  13. #13daxlw2010-04-14 10:19

    How can you tell if the bolt is broken in the springs? If it is, then do you have to cut the springs or is there a way to get the spring assembly out, have it compressed, and put a new bolt in?

  14. #14John C.2010-04-14 18:50

    We don't want to discuss what might be your problem here. Get some photos or get someone there who knows what they are looking at. You have a mess that could hurt or kill someone if not taken care of properly. Good Luck!