Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6 avail, been sitting a while….

davo727 ยท 2017-02-16 00:30

Ran across this one on Fayetteville Ark, craigslist. Darn trees... https://fayar.craigslist.org/cto/5995656246.html

Replies12
  1. #1old-iron-habit2017-02-16 08:57

    That is a D6-9U series. It is a fifty something model, they are a being generous with the model year. The extra blade is not for the machine. That is a cable blade machine. The extra blade is hydraulic. That being said if it runs well, ( without a pony it does has to be pull started), and the undercarriage is good $5,000.00 is not to far off. The pony is a thousand to rebuild if you can find the parts. Most cranks are bad and near impossible to find. If its new enough to have the electric starter hole in the bell housing( about 1956 on) it is easy to convert to electric start. A serial number would tell a lot. Early ones had a dry master clutch and later ones were oil clutches.

  2. #2Delmer2017-02-16 10:13

    If you go to that craigslist and copy and paste the location to the search box, you can see his other interesting stuff for sale. Prices are high for what I'd expect around here, maybe they are in good shape, no salt etc, just sat for a while? He can always go down... Maybe a lesson of what not to do to your kids too.

  3. #3kshansen2017-02-16 19:53

    I always like the "not running but was before parked". Almost as good as saying "Plane flew last time it took off!" Yea! but about that rather abrupt impact with the ground? There's a guy on this forum who has been working for months trying to start a 955K, I believe it is, that has the exact same "not running but was before parked" thing said about it. Last I knew he had put $1,000 into it and was now getting ready to pull the head to see why water is pouring out of the turbo! If that price included delivery to my site and I had it's twin sister siting here it might be worth that price for spare parts but only if one knew them inside out and had time to kill on the project. As much as I like old Cat equipment I'm thinking Id rather have the tree for fire wood than that old girl. At least I know I could get a few hours heat out of the tree with little work!

  4. #4oldirt2017-02-16 20:59

    that thing is yard art at best.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2017-02-16 21:03

    Show me how to find his other items for sale. I couldn't figure it out.

  6. #6Delmer2017-02-16 22:14

    https://fayar.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=Kansas+Ok see if this works... go down to the first batch of listings, all on Feb 9th except this dozer

  7. #7Birken Vogt2017-02-16 22:42

    Good gracious that is a lot of scrap metal he wants top dollar for!

  8. #8crane operator2017-02-16 23:36

    That looks like it might be a little white oak tree growing in the corner of the blade. They grow pretty slow- it could easily be a 20 year old tree, maybe older. I did chuckle at the campers- need a little tlc . If anyone sees anything they can't live without, its only a hour from me. 20% buyers premium anyone? Everything else is over priced, I just as well be too.

  9. #9kshansen2017-02-17 08:00

    Now you've done it price will probably double when he figures that out! Just needs to come up with some better text explaining the artistic value of this fine example of mid 20th century industrial design. Actually I could make use of this machine, have had a few cars going off the road in front of our house a more or less straight section of road. One State Trooper said that he should park out there to watch for these drivers, but then changed his mind. Said it might be too dangerous! Not to mention the mail box getting hit by the snowplow at least five times in the last two weeks. I think an old D6 might stand up pretty good to that county plows wing!

  10. #10DMiller2017-02-17 08:51

    Have seen a few around here advertising similarly. Absolute scrap iron but considered the machines as "Antique" or Collector items and shot the prices up. Spoke to one fella on a dump truck bed he had for sale, told me he wanted scrap value but was off that mark by $1000. He thought scrap was still selling for $200/ton and the bed had to be five ton as that is the size truck it came off of. World is full of idiots.

  11. #11old-iron-habit2017-02-17 11:07

    A decent running late model D6-9U with good undercarriage will bring $6,000.00. They are a great tough machine. I'm not sure this one meets that critera. Certainly not with a bad pony motor. Half that would be fair if it is late enough to have the bellhousing factory drilled to add a 24 volt starter without a ton of work. Starter conversion with generator is still going to tack on close to a $1,000.00.

  12. #12John C.2017-02-17 20:09

    Best I could offer for that is my sympathy.