My D6 Cat has a left turn steering issue. I have to push the pedal hard and to the floor to actually turn... even a little. When I received the D6 the right steering didn't work and the left worked very well. I adjusted the right and it works perfectly now. The left, which I did nothing with, has nearly gone away. I have to keep pumping the brake to the floor to get it to inch left. I've adjusted the steering clutch as the lever had 5 to 6 inches of free travel when it should have had only 3. I have since adjusted the brake as the manual described but it has made no difference. I can see the brake pad lining and it is at least 3/16" in thickness. It does turn to the left in reverse better than going forward. Also, it does turn 'better' when first firing up the dozer. In fact... in reverse it will turn left on a dime. My gut tells me that it's not the brake but rather that the clutch is not releasing as it did when I first got it. Is there anything I can/should try to adjust to see if I can make a difference? The dozer has no problem moving forward or reverse.
Maybe try washing with solvent. Linings may be oil soaked.
Hi TomA. I did dowse the brake lining with brake cleaner. Hasn't had an appreciable difference. I have found the drum to be quite warm to hot suggesting that there is friction being made.
Clutch release problem in forward direction and not in reverse is an indicator that the clutch plates and drum teeth have excessive wear and are hanging up in the one direction..
It's curious to me why warn plates and drum teeth wouldn't have the same affect in both directions. The same surfaces are used in both correct? I have a JD350b that i am replacing the steering clutches and brakes on currently and from what I see steering issues would be affected in reverse and forward as far as I can surmise. Would like to understand what I may be missing there. My thinking on the D6 is that it might be a valve release issue when going forward assuming there is difference or opposing valve movement between forward and reverse. I'm not entirely certain I have the steering clutch properly adjusted.
Not necessarily. The discs/plates will move slightly depending on whether the machine is moving forward or reverse. Therefore the wear lips created on the splines will be oriented a hair different.
Homer, Any conclusion on this issue? I have a D6D with exact problem as you decribed; left turn, acts differently after few minutes of run time, extended lever pull, little to no response to foot brake... Only difference maybe you didn't note, my machine will respond better if you "pump" the hand lever against bottom - meaning when you pull it back full length, if you give it a couple quick bumps against the end of the stroke then hold the machine will respond and turn?? Any findings/advice would be appriciated.
I think I would start by checking clutch pressure on elbow between booster and clutch (1/8 pipe plug) if it is low next step would be to put a piece of shim stock between elbow and tube going to cross shaft cage if pressure goes up probably have problems with seals. If it doesn’t problem is in booster