Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D65-18 beginner question, when to use the brake?

R2d2 ยท 2019-01-12 04:31

So I'm new to operating a dozer and was told to never use the brake unless in an emergency, I feel like I've been misled, it just feels wrong to go from forward to reverse when rolling without bringing the machine to a stop, I don't have any experienced operators around to ask, I'm just winging it. Any advice would be great, and I have lots of other questions, thanks.

Replies6
  1. #1ianjoub2019-01-12 08:12

    If you let off the throttle, does it not stop quickly on its own?

  2. #2ol'stonebreaker2019-01-12 09:41

    For your neck's sake I hope it has a decelerator and you use it for all changes of direction. Mike

  3. #3R2d22019-01-12 11:40

    Haha, yes I always decelerate though it does not stop it completely and if I'm on a hill it will pick up speed between shifting from forward to reverse or vice versa.

  4. #4John C.2019-01-12 12:25

    Brakes are made to be used. There are no absolute rules to safe operation of any machine other than don't hurt yourself or anyone else. If safe operation of machine requires use of the service brakes, then use them!

  5. #5bam19682019-01-14 14:07

    In my opinion, whoever told you to only use he brakes in an emergency is wrong. Like John C said, they are made to be used. I personally rarely use the brakes but I also don't hesitate to use them either. You, by no means, need to come to a 'complete stop ' each time you change direction...

  6. #6farmerlund2019-01-14 14:33

    ^^^^^^^ What they said. All I can add is don't leave your foot on the brake pedal. dragging them is no good.