Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6B engine locked, fix or scrap?

wrwtexan ยท 2014-01-16 23:27

A customer asked me to get some prices (upper/lower) together to fix his D6B with the D333 engine. It locked up on an operator while running and he has no idea if it is upper or lower end. I have read that these engines are turds and as old as it is and what little it would be worth when fixed (don't know what rest of machine condition is), do I tell him to fire up the torch or haul to me to investigate and possibly fix? If the latter, do I want to take on such a task?

Replies6
  1. #1DMiller2014-01-17 08:13

    Don't know the engines were actually turds, just weak as most natural aspirated are. Know of at least three still cutting brush roads in MO, engines were strong horses when built and could be rebuilt dirty in-field with still great results. I would make the estimates to at least let him know an idea of how much for both upper and lower to do a full job, include a reground crank in the bids. May make better sense to him than buying another used machine not knowing how long it will last.

  2. #2Nelsonequip2014-01-17 08:51

    If you're customer decides to fix the Dover I have a good running engine out of a d6b I parted out awhile back, connect some fuel and batteries you can here her run I'm not to far from you, 913 731 1180 Mike

  3. #3kshansen2014-01-17 09:43

    My question would be was it working under load and stopped? Or did it lock up when just trying to start. I know you said it was running but sometimes the story you get is not the complete one. I'd see what nelsonequip wants for the one he has. If that D333 was working under full load when it stopped could be major crank and block damage.

  4. #4wrwtexan2014-01-17 13:24

    Thanks for the replies all. The only info I have is a hand was running it (how hard don't know) and it started knocking and quit. Just from his description, it sounds like a major problem. My description of the engine came from reading that they were bad about spun bearings cracked blocks and heads. What about parts availablity? Mike, if I get it, I'll keep your engine offer in mind. He could come get it.

  5. #5ben46a2014-01-17 19:14

    Clevite should have an engine kit , and I'd bet cat would still be able to get the majority of parts. Still quite a few around here in fishing boats.

  6. #6catman132014-01-17 23:11

    first what shape is the under carriage in that would be the determining factor of what do with it.. if it is shot junk it // if it is like new fix it if you buy another used machine you may be buy another pile junk JUST my 2 cents