Hello everyone, I acquired a new to me D6B. The left final drive is losing oil. The leak is coming from the anterior side of the drive sprocket. I do not have experience with dozers. I'm your average backyard mechanic because hiring other people are expensiIve. I do have the service manual and haven't touched the problem.
There is some tooling you would really need to do the job properly and that stuff isn’t anywhere near cheap. It’s been a long long time since I was in one on that old of a machine but I’m thinking that was the old dead axle style with the outboard housing that fit on a tapered shaft and retained by a nut under the bolt on cover. If it is that outer housing has to be pressed off.
Maybe the bearings are just out of adjustment on that final drive and if it were adjusted properly maybe the seal would hold.? {I would never be this lucky but maybe you have a lucky shamrock up your wowzer}
It takes a 100 ton Cat press to pull sprocket you will not get it off with out it you can unbolt the final drive and take it to have it pressed off too if you do this you will have to take the nut off of the dead axle and get the out board bearing off
take off whole housing carry to cat they will pull and put new seal just have to be carful moving with new seal have done many times , the high drive wors better they are made to do that way. and i have done a few with blocks and jack on frame of tractor ,put presser and hit sprcot with sleage hammer the little tractor is not as tight as big ones. now you know i word under shade tree, in younger days with big tools and long bars, no air ha ha. get it done attidue., liked to ride them better than wor on them.
First step is to take the weight off the sprocket and get in there with a pry bar to see if there is movement of the sprocket. If there is adjustment of the big slotted nut may be all that is required. If not your in for a dismantle job to access/replace the seals and repair any other damage in there. Best get yourself a service manual.
First thanks for the replies. Here is my plan and please feel free to call me stupid, since I would rather be called stupid then wind up hurt or hurting the machine. Use a 20-bottle jack, place dozer on railroad ties to support the frame. (place wheel stops infront of tracks, and front of the sprocket on the non leaking side prior to lift). Test for jiggling with long pry bar (or some piece of metal I can find). As far as bearing adjustment (if it is jiggling), Use a spanner wrench to set it to torque specs I guess it isn't as easy as just tightening the retain nut. (service manual acquired) Dismantle the whole left side. Cuss a lot and reconsider why I quit drinking.
Where in SC are you I live on the NC SC line
Pickens County.
My D6B left side leaks also. Mine isn't bad so I just fill er up each time I use it. I own a Shovelhead Harley also, so I am used to oil leaks-haha