Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6C 10K – what are my best options ?

BoatTrash · 2025-05-28 03:23

Recently bought this 10k, my mechanic said to stay away from it a few ago, was building pressure, why you see the expansion tank added. Long story short the guy went to start it after sitting all winter, she made a window in the block. I haven't pulled the motor yet. When it was running she was a nice machine, I've got the work sometimes for a bigger dozer but don't need fancy because it will sit alot. Who / where am I best finding an engine ? I've been hunting high and low, short of buying another tractor with issues ? I don't have a fortune tied up in it, think it's worth fixing correctly. Would you guys pull the engine, see what went wrong and attempt a fix ?

Replies8
  1. #1Simon C2025-05-28 21:18

    I once hired a guy with a Deere 650 J or newer dozer with 6 way blade to push a large area and level. We bid the job for cost at 2 days and he was gone in 8 hours. Sometimes it just is not worth fixing some of this old stuff. That new style dozer was so fast compared to the old stuff. I just finished a 48 year old Komatsu D155 engine and will not do any more. I had to strip 5 motors to get enough components to be able to finish it. To hard to get parts and a large project. Lots of hours involved in what you want or are thinking of doing. If is 40 years old walk away with a small loss, or be ready for a large loss when the next biggy lets go. For them to run it with an expansion tank like that gives you a good idea about the condition of the rest of the machine. It will be your choice. Simon C

  2. #2BoatTrash2025-05-29 04:41

    I'm pretty aware what the newer stuff does, got 5x newer deere dozers. This was one of those deals the guy needed the money, little above scrap weight, make a great spare pond whore, or blowing in log roads that all. I'm just asking around if someone knows where a good engine is or a complete carcass, I still think alot of the older stuff is worth throwing money at.

  3. #3BoatTrash2025-05-29 05:12

    I'm pretty aware what the newer stuff does, got 5x newer Deeres. This was one of those deals the guy needed the money, little above scrap weight, make a great spare pond whore, or blowing in log roads that all. If I hadn't seen it run and work I wouldn't have even thought about it. I'm just asking around if someone knows where a good engine is or a complete carcass, I still think alot of the older stuff is worth throwing money at.

  4. #4.RC.2025-05-29 05:18

    Well Cat made hundreds of thousands of 3306 engines and still make them brand new to this day for use in machines sold to third world countries.. They would probably be the most prolific engine they ever made. Parts would be endless for them.

  5. #5epirbalex2025-05-29 17:21

    Buying another dozer for the motor is better the buying just a motor , you can run it enough to know its sound . Funny thing sometimes buying a second machine for wrecking the donor machine can be better than the first , requiring a third .

  6. #6Coaldust2025-05-29 20:25

    D6’s are like Pokémon, you gotta collect them all.

  7. #7Welder Dave2025-05-29 23:15

    Do you have pics. of the hole in the block? Could possibly be repaired depending on where it is and how big.

  8. #8Coaldust2025-05-29 23:55

    The dedicated 966C loader at the Sitka recycling yard has a 3305. It’s still running. Sounds kinda funny.