OK, I admit I have a bit of a stupid question..................... I was going to tilt the blade a bit to get more of a bite and when I went to do it I found it has only one screw type adjustment on the right side on the unit as you face forward. It attempted to turn it with no luck and it appeared to either be screwed on way too tight or wasn't meant to be adjusted. The mechanic inside of me looked for signs of threads but it sure seemed like this wasn't meant to turn. The cat manual shows two threaded rods on each side. Mine has a hydraulic cylinder on one side to tilt one corner down lower than the other using foot pedals. Am I crazy or should I be able to turn that opposite side? I am taking some penetrating lube and a breaker bar with me tonight and see if I can get it to budge. UGH.........
It could be either a fixed brace or adjustable. If it has a hole through it to take a tommy bar then it is adjustable but may be seized. The other possibility is that at sometime in the past the threads have stripped out and it has been welded up solid. By the way, for the sake of better understanding, if you tilt the blade you are making one corner lower than the other for cutting a ditch. I think what you are trying to do is adjust the pitch of the blade - adjust the angle that the cutting edge contacts the ground, correct?
Cmark, You are correct, I am trying to adjust the pitch. I didn't see any visible welds and am going to check it out and take pictures tonight. Thanks!
Yair . . . tenpointr1. No stupid questions mate. I would just like to expand a little on what Cmark has mentioned. That brace should be adjustable but they frequently get bent by rocks and logs and it becomes impossible to move them . . . then again as mentioned it could be welded solid. If you can get it to turn or fabricate a new one you will be able to tilt the top of the blade forward which will lift that side which can then be corrected with the tilt cylinder . . . alternatively if you pull the top of the blade back the corner will drop. To run the blade level the hydraulic cylinder just works in a slightly different area of its range. Now, about that tilt cylinder. In my view the hydraulic tilt was the greatest "leap forward" since bulldozers were invented. I have mentioned on here before that I would rather run a stickshift with a tilt than a powershift without. It is not a set and forget thing for just levelling the blade. Learn to use it constantly. When dozing and pushing dirt you will seldom need to touch the clutches, just steer with the tilt . . . more productive and easier on the tractor. Cheers.
I managed to get it to turn, had to beat the snot out of it but it managed to turn out about an inch or so but blade looks much better. Figured less is more, I will see how it pushes dirt and adjust from there. Thanks for the lessons......................again.