Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6c Dead Axle

D6c10K ยท 2017-09-09 12:10

A couple of years ago I had the final drive seal go out on my D6c. I had it replaced, and at the time the dead axle was found to be bent so it was replaced but it was still a little marginal on the amount it took to press it in. I checked it this spring and found that the axle had turned some. I marked the position of the outer components (support, holder assy, and nut) and have been checking it frequently for movement. It hasn't moved until I checked today and the holder & nut have rotated a little. When I had it worked on last time they said it may or may not hold, which it why I've been watching it, and if starts moving the fix is probably to have Cat bore the housing and put in a tapered bushing. Anyone had this done recently?....Can they do it on site or is that done in their shop only? I was told it would probably be around $2500

Replies5
  1. #1John C.2017-09-12 11:34

    That price sounds like only the cost of the boring and bushing. What is the cost to dismantle the final drive and remove the dead axle so the boring can be done?

  2. #2D6c10K2017-09-12 13:53

    You may be right....I'm waiting on a reply from Cat. Hopefully they're still willing to do the work on this old of equipment.

  3. #3D6c10K2017-09-15 10:40

    Your're right....got a quote from Cat. Take apart, make bush, bore, install, & reassemble. $8500 That's a not-starter. They told me to make the bushing alone would be most of the $2500. What?...Is it going to take a machinist 3 days to turn up a bushing? Time for plan B whatever that's going to be....

  4. #4old-iron-habit2017-09-15 21:46

    There is a low ground pressure D6C coming up here on a auction in October. Runs decent, needs a brake adjustment on one side or possible replacement. Works but at the floor. Owner is gimped up on one leg so one brake probably got all the work. I doubt it will bring more than 6 to 7K. It has always sounded to me like a bit of a exhaust lisp like a burnt valve but he has been using it for years with no issue.

  5. #5DMiller2017-09-16 08:58

    Cutting a bronze/steel or special alloy bushing to a specific replacement size is considered jobber time work. You pay for the set up AND tear down of the equipment to turn it out. As to $2500 for a specialized bushing depends on what material they are using, the cutting tools needed to turn it out and the quality they expect of the final product. I worked in a Nuke plant where jobs were held to .0005 in. tolerance, those jobs may take a week to get perfect for a shaft as short as 3' or one or two bushings for the same shaft, cannot rush quality just quantity. These days a job as this is not uncommon to see in the $6000 range and if not wanting to replace the machine or chance buying another needing similar or as severe work then the money is well spent.