On my D6C 10K 6516 tractor that I got recently, I didn't get a parts book with the machine & need to re-chrome the rods (badly scored) & repack the both blade lift cylinders & was told by someone that there may be some identification on the outside of barrel which will identify it. I found a number "3J4315" at one spot on the barrel. Does anyone know if that looks like a good number or if there is even an external number on the barrel which will identify the cylinder, to aid in ordering parts for what is inside? Thanks.... Metalman
you need a parts book. look it up on ebay, I bet you can come up with a nice one that matches your serial prefix and number.
This tractor dates back to the days when the Parts Book for the tractor, hydraulic control, blade, & accessories all came separately, so it's not possible to find details of cylinder parts under the tractor S/N. What type of blade does the tractor have fitted and can you find a Serial Number on the blade..? The S/N plate should be close to the RH top corner of the blade. If the plate is missing look for an area where the 4 rivets that once held it on were and clean the paint off in that area. The S/N should have been stamped on before the plate was fixed in position. Your 3J-4315 is listed as a "Bracket" in the system so it's not going to be much help, although the list of cylinder Part Numbers to which that bracket is fitted is not a long one, only 13 different P/Ns. Your cylinder will doubtless be one of the 13.
Ok, thanks for the info guys. I did look on the blade right after getting the tractor, but there was no sign of a tag on it, however I will look for rivets & what may be stamped under where the plate was. The tractor has a 10' straight, hydraulic tilt blade on it. You are right as well re the 3J-4315 part, as after posting the thread I googled the part # & it came up with a bracket welded to the outside of the barrel, which is used to stow the cylinders to the machine when the blade is off.
Let me go digging in the system now I know what the blade is. I'll get back to you ...... While I'm doing that, have a look at the head of the cylinder (where the rod enters the bottom end of the cyl. assy.) Is there a Part Number cast on the head somewhere..?
This should be what you have for your serial #
Ok, thanks for the pdf of the parts breakdown. I appreciate that.
The blade s/n for the D6C 6S is a 95E1-up. The angle blade is 44E1-up. Parts book shows different cylinders for the straight blade. Also shows a Type 1 and Type 2 cylinder.
Good catch Old Magnet, Here's the pages for the 6s blade View attachment 6s cylinder.pdf View attachment type1.pdf
Thanks for the additional information on different cylinders on the straight & angle blades. It looks like the pdf file sent by D6C10K is for the angle type blade & the staight blade cylinders may be different then?
Thanks for sending the 6S pdf to work from. I will discard the first one.
Added the pages for Type 1 & 2 for the 6s blade on previous post....didn't read close enough.
So, how do I know if it is type 1 or 2? From what I see the part #'s look the same?
The difference between Type 1 & Type 2 cylinders is the rod and the head. The Part Numbers for the rod & head for a Type 1 cylinder were cancelled & replaced by the Part Numbers shown for the Type 2 cylinder. So if you went to a dealer for a rod or a head and gave the old number you would automatically be supplied with the new one. All other parts (including the seals) are the same. Therefore if you are replacing seals and having an original rod re-chromed there will be no difference between the 2 types. My system shows some seal kit Part Numbers but I want to wait until I'm back in work tomorrow to be sure I have the correct Part Number for it - that needs a resource I don't have access to outside the office. Often some of the Seal kit Part Numbers quoted in the system are for cylinders honed oversize and unless you have a cylinder like that it won't be what you want. Give me until tomorrow.
Ok, great....thanks a lot.
Metalman, if you have something apart, look for as many part# as you can find, then cross refference your different parts book pages to match up for the correct parts. Later Bob
Bob, Problem is per his OP that he doesn't have a Parts Book ....... According to my sources the seal kit for a 5J-8172/5J-8173 cylinder is a 242-2547. There are no oversize seal kits available. I'd repeat what I suggested earlier. Because it's a cast part they usually have a part number,
I had a look on the bottom section of the cylinder & couldn't find any numbers on it. Thanks for sending what info you had. Appreciate it.
Well, I decided to send the 3-cylinders out for a complete rebuild, as the rods all needed to be re-chromed & got them back on today & put back on....so far so good, except doing it that way hits the pocket book a little harder.
It may hit the wallet a bit harder, but at least your confidence level regarding the repair lasting in the long-term should be pretty high. Sometimes you just have to grin & bear it.
True words...... also, when we put the cylinders back on we had a bit of a hard time keeping the proper amount oil in the tank, as it seemed we would put some oil in & then it would be suddenly gurgling up & oil running everywhere. What is the proper way to purge the air from the system when empty cylinders go back on? We finally got it, but not without lots of oil slobbering out & down the tank. I understand the Cat hyd systems usually run under few pounds pressure. Is there a way to bleed out with the tank cap on or just leave it loose & slobbering everywhere until the air is out & live with the mess?