Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6C fuel leak question

DReiff62 ยท 2013-01-13 07:48

I'm new to the dozer world and I've just recently bought a D6C. I was running late last night when I began to smell fuel. I discovered that the fuel is coming from a small (guessing 1/4 inch) line that hangs down from the front of the injection pump around the fuel filter assembly. It was shooting a stream of fuel out of the end of it. I was unable to see exactly where on the pump this line hooks up because of the engine enclosers and because everything was to hot to slide down alongside the encloser for a better look. The end of the hose the fuel was coming out of was just loose, like it was some kind of a drain hose. Any ideas as to what might have happened to make fuel come pouring out of the hose, or is it supposed to be hooked up to something (like the fuel pressure gauge and the one end simply came loose? I've been around diesel engines for years and have never seen any type of drain hose from a fuel pump, filter, etc... before. I did not check to see if my fuel pressure gauge was showing good pressure before shutting it down (forgot, was concerned about fire). Thanks for any input/advice you'd care to share. Dan

Replies12
  1. #1grandpa2013-01-13 08:04

    Your are right Dan, it is a drain line from the injection pump and the end does "just simply hang loose". Look up on the side of the pump and you should see a Tee type shutoff valve,,, the valve has prolly worked itself loose and is allowing fuel to be pushed out.. just turn it clockwise all the way and see if its off. Hope that works for you, Gramps.

  2. #2D6c10K2013-01-13 11:41

    Not sure which fuel pump you have, but if it's like mine there is a second line coming from the front end between the inj. pump and fuel pump. It's supposed to drain off any fuel that leaks by the seals to keep it from leaking into the oil. It would have to be leaking a lot to get a stream flow so it's probably not the most likely cause. You might want to take a look to make sure it's not seeping too.

  3. #3DReiff622013-01-14 21:00

    Thanks for the input on what might be going on. I talked to a mechanic today and he said that it had to be one of the seals in the transfer pump had gone bad so I replaced the whole transfer pump and tried it out tonight and it did not change anything. Still a full stream of fuel coming out of the hose. Any other thoughts. I looked for a valve and did not find one. Dan

  4. #4DReiff622013-01-14 21:11

    Thanks for the input Gramps. I looked for the tee shutoff and couldn't find one. A mechanic told me that it had to be a seal in the transfer pump so I replaced the pump today and it didn't change anything. I bought a used parts book for this thing and I cannot find the valve your referring to. Is it supposed to shut of fuel coming into the filter assembly? The hose the fuel is coming out of is located just forward of the fuel transfer pump and on the bottom side of the bell shaped housing which contains the gears which drive the whole fuel pump assembly. This fuel system has a small primary filter cartridge in a clear plastic housing located on the bottom side of the assembly and has a spin on type filter located up high above the transfer pump. We have had some cold weather lately, ever heard of water in the fuel pooling and then freezing and breaking the housing or something like that? I'm simply shooting in the dark as I don't know what to think. I know it's not impossible for the new transfer pump to also have a bad seal but it seems like a really long shot to me. It was a full stream of fuel coming out of the line as soon as I started it with the new pump on. Dan

  5. #5Bob/Ont2013-01-14 21:50

    Check where all those 1/4" lines go, and also look for a 1 1/2" wheel/knob on a bleed valve near the filter top. For that much to come out the bleed must be open. Later Bob

  6. #6Construct'O2013-01-14 22:08

    What is the serial number of your machine.On my D6C 10k12973 1976 year.The drain tube on it was like your talking about.It had the T-fitting on the side of the pump.Been awhile.Anyway if you ran it out of fuel and you tried priming it with primer you would open the T and you pumped and fuel and air came out of the line your taking about to get the air out of the fuel system to get machine started. You could watch the glass water seperater and see when you was getting fuel system full as you primed.Had to close T once or twice to finish the process.Can't remember if had the throttle lever back or forward when priming.One way or the other let it prime faster. Does your machine have the hand primer pump? I also think if your pump had internal problem it might leak there also.Might have to do a complete repair on the whole pump to get it too quit ,not just the transfer pump side of the pump.Good luck!

  7. #7grandpa2013-01-15 06:37

    Bob might be right with the wheel looking knob on the filter housing( I just can't remember what has the knob or the tee type shutoff anymore). For the drain to run a steady stream like your saying, I can't image a pump seal allowing that much flow upon failure,.

  8. #8oldirt2013-01-15 07:16

    my D has the same pump as yours and it sprang a leak in the same area so bad it wouldn't restart just to move the tractor. I had to r&r the complete pump. as it turned out just about everything in there needed replaced.

  9. #9DReiff622013-01-15 07:40

    Does the fuel from the bleed valve come out the same hose as the drain hose for the main fuel pump and or transfer pump? I've studied the parts book trying to understand the design and cannot tell.

  10. #10DReiff622013-01-15 07:50

    Someone else mentioned the same thing but the 6 runs fine, it was only the smell of fuel that made me stop to check for the source. If the main pump goes or is going, does that escaping fuel come out the same hose in the front of the transfer pump? The reason I ask is this. Doesn't the transfer pump "pull" fuel from the tank and supply it through the filtering system before going on to the main injection pump? If this is correct and the hose the fuel is coming out of is an escape route for the fuel from the transfer pump if the seal fails within the transfer pump, then how does the fuel from a worn injection pump get routed to that same hose? I've obviously never been into this system, but am trying to logically process how it's designed to work. Thanks again for everyone's input; I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to all my ?'s. Dan

  11. #11DReiff622013-01-15 07:55

    The serial number is 10K7769 and it does have a hand primer pump. I think I've figured out where the bleed valve is in my parts book and will check it in the morning. Thanks for your advice. Dan

  12. #12d9gdon2013-01-15 19:31

    I show that SN to have the old scroll type injector pump: I think that line (#26) from the fuel filter housing is probably the one leaking, not your injector pump: That would be the kind of breakdown that I don't mind. Good luck with it.