Hello all, I just purchased a D6C Cat dozer, I believe it to be a very late 60's machine near the end of the D333 engine run ( 68 or 69 ) so I believe it's the D333C engine, The serial number on the machine is 76A5579 if is any help in determining the year. The machine has the powershift 3 forward 3 reverse transmission, it all works well but upon inspection the oil is contaminated with moisture, I have on order the TO-4 Cat drivetrain oil ( replaces the TO-2 original spec grade oil) to dump and replace it with the new clean oil, my question is would it be safe to dump the existing oil, refill with a much cheaper tractor fluid and run the machine for a short time (just in my yard, not work it) to flush the entire system before I replace the transmission filter and add the new Cat liquid gold? I'm sure just dumping the old and putting in the new will not get ALL of the old oil out, some will remain on the components unless it sits with the drain plug out for days or months, also there will be some oil left in the piping to the filter housing and such. Thanks for any help with this.
I don't see a problem with your plan, but also any moisture left would burn off using the machine. Do you know where the moisture came from, trans cooler maybe?
Exactly what I would do.
I would also want to have it tested to be sure it was just water and not coolant. If this machine has been parked unused for a long time it could be just a build up of condensation. I'd also check breather to be sure they are open.
I think maybe condensation, The po owned the tractor for ten years or more with minimal run time our climate has wide temp swings through the four seasons....I have had 3 JD 450s over the years and usually had moister in the trans oil every spring, still own the E in the pic, however I used the machines each summer and changed oil every spring after that all was well till the next spring. The E got new Hy-gard last spring and needs it again now.
Thank you, I will be doing that this week or next....I post back when I have completed the flush and fill. Thank you for the reply....I will be doing the drain, flush and refill with good oil.
Every year, that doesn't sound right. My 955 and D3 don't have the issue and they sit a lot
Thanks for the reply, I'm reasonably sure it's not coolant the po said he would add about a quart of coolant or less on rare occasions...I checked and topped it of myself after getting i home and it took less than a quart.
I don't have an answer for that, I just know what I do, maybe if I just ran the machines each spring it would cook off, I just felt better putting fresh clean oil in them. I t may be worth stating here that it doesn't take much water to make otherwise clean oil milky looking.
Does the 6C have a winch on the back. In my experience that was the most common source of water in the transmission oil.
No winch, by looking at it I would say it's never had one either. Thanks for the reply.
John do you know the possible flow path. My 6C-10k has a hyster on it and gets milky trans fluid.
I guess this thread got away from me, I changed the fluid and it has remained clean ever since. Sorry about overlooking this. I like it when a thread comes to a conclusion and is not left hanging as I'm sure everyone else does too.