Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6C recommended oils for northern Alberta Canada

Tigerlily · 2013-08-02 21:56

I have viewed cats cold weather article about oils . And well I have read other forums about oils. The more I start to think I know about oil, the more confused I am getting. Some guys are telling me 10W for everything then a guy says 0w 40 for everything, and then Utf for everything but the motor. Just would like to know what it the proper oils and most cost effective. Just bought this tractor and purchased the filters. Also this is another question I have . Does oil go bad. If it sits to long in the tractor does it need to be changed even if the hours are not reached for the recommended service ?

Replies11
  1. #1Old Magnet2013-08-03 12:03

    Check your service manual. In no place does it recommend that multi-viscosity oil. Water/condensate is the killer for oil in storage, along with combustion by-products that form acids which require the oil to be changed whether your running or not. Follow the oil manufacturers recommendation as to useful life.

  2. #2Tigerlily2013-08-03 12:22

    Yah ... Okay Just bought the manual today.

  3. #3Nige2013-08-03 13:14

    What's the prefix of the machine and an idea of what the ambient temperatures are going to be for cold starting..?

  4. #4Tigerlily2013-08-03 14:06

    69J ... The temperature will be as is now 30 degree centigrade or so and hopefully not less than -20 degree centigrade. I think that's 30 * 1.8 + 32 and -20 * 1.8 + 32 86 F and -4 F

  5. #5Tigerlily2013-08-03 14:21

    Worst case -40 centigrade. -40 *1.8 + 32 = -40 F It gets colder but I would not be out doing much on those days. Ha

  6. #6pf/l2013-08-03 23:00

    In my D7E I run 15W40 in everything but it is a bit thick in the winter. Motor is okay but the trans and hydraulics takes a bit to get it warmed up and flowing like it should be. I think cat has a 10W oil that is acceptable for the trans and hydraulics. I think probably 50 % of the cats in the patch are running 15W40 if they were lucky enough to have it changed.lol.. Ryan

  7. #7Nige2013-08-04 10:47

    Your temp conversions weren't quite right. -20 DegC is actually -36 DegF but no matter, I work in DegC anyway. Here are the factory recommendations for a machine that is started from cold at the following ambient temperatures because a cold start is where the oil is really subjected to the highest amount of stress. The 3 temp ranges quoted by the factory are: - 1) above 0 C. 2) 0 to -12C. 3) Below -12C. Engine - SAE 30, SAE 10W, SAE 10W Transmission, steering clutch & bevel gear case - SAE 30, SAE 30, SAE 10W Final Drives - SAE 50, SAE 30, SAE 30 Hydraulic System - SAE 10W, SAE 10W, SAE 10W Note that the engine recommendation is for a monograde. This is still the recommendation for engines using precombustion chamber injection systems. I tihnk I'd probably go for a 5W-30 or even a 5W-20. The transmission oil would be a TO-2 spec back in those days. I think with some suitable warming up on really cold days an SAE30 would work OK year-round. Final drives would be same TO-2 spec, I'd put SAE30 in them, considerations for warming up on really cold days would be the same. Hydraulic system is 10W all the way down the line.

  8. #8Old Magnet2013-08-04 13:26

    Check the Cat Specifications I posted in the "Lubrication" discussion.

  9. #9OCR2013-08-11 01:56

    Hmmm? ​ http://www.rlhudson.com/Unit Converter/index.htm http://www.metric-conversions.org/temperature/celsius-to-fahrenheit.htm OCR

  10. #10alco2013-08-11 19:34

    How on earth did you come up with that?....LOL.

  11. #11OCR2013-08-13 06:18

    By not adding 32 to the product of -20 x 1.8... lol ​ OCR...