Another question someone may be able to help me with.I have a D6C that needs the seals replacing in one track adjuster(not holding grease),I am doing a job in light soil(easy pushing and ripping)I can't get the seals replaced anytime soon and it is a rather urgent job.I am planning to stretch out the adjuster and block it out with 2 short pieces of heavy angle iron to keep tension on the track just to do this job and wait till I get time to reseal the adjuster.Does anyone know of any problems this may cause in the short term?
Welcome to the Forums Chris71!:drinkup Normally you would need 3 initial posts in order to start your own thread, in order to help keep the spammers out. Obviously your not a spammer and need some help to get a job done, so I moved your first post to it's own thread. Good luck!
I have done just what you are thinking of in the past. Make sure you get the track to the right tightness before putting in the angle. Weld it secure as it can break off, THi will get you by until you can fix it correctly. GOOD LUCK
So long as you are doing light work it SHOULD hold up .......... be aware that you will have no recoil spring facility if you do this.
You should be OK. Everyone that's been around them has to do a little Southern Engineering from time to time. I've seen idiots weld and re-weld blocks behind them and think they're fixed for good. It just isn't that hard of a job to do when you can get a chance to shut 'er down for a couple of hours. The best advice I can give is to buy a service manual off of Ebay for your machine. It'll pay for itself the first time you have a breakdown that's not straightforward like this one. Better than that, you'll see special tools in it that you can buy or build to make the complicated job a lot simpler.
i know of a fellow who jacked his track out to the right tension , then pumped silicon into the adjuster ,left it for the weekend to set and then finished off the job
No recoil facility means if something gets bound up in the tracks your going to bust something.
That's what I was trying to say ..........
Got a friend that did that on a D4H because he did not have time to reseal the track adjuster but now he has time to reseal it and replace the broken idler shaft.:beatsme
I guess Ill borrow this thread, because I cant figure out how to post new threads, after 3 years Im in eastern NC (USA) a friend has a almost new set of 24" track pads for a 2006, Cat 315 excavator. the owner changed them to 30" pads If you are close to my area and need a set of pads, make him a offer, the freight will kill you, so you have to pick them up Send me a PM if interested, with your number and I will get him to call you