I've read allot of different post and thought I'd post my finding on my D6C10K and see if the masses agrees me. Starts fine, little to no smoke, huge loss of power, if I try to work it. If I let it warm up for a bit, work it slowly, set at idle for a bit, then work it some more. The power loss get's less, but not to full power like it was. I read several post that it may be flooding the torque converter, so I drained it, and had about 12-13 gallons. which my understanding is it should have about 1.5 to 2 gallons, so I'm way over where it should be. So I put a new scavenge pump on it, no difference, still got 12-13 gallons. I then removed the relief value, rebuilt it, no change, still had 12-13 gallons. This is after removing and cleaning both screens. The lower screen was perfectly clean, however the upper screen was nearly completely clogged, which included allot of metal fragments. So after all this, I have diagnosed that I'm in the need for a torque converter. I drained the converter last night again, same result 12-13 gallons. Of which I captured about 11 gallons and the other two went in my hair, and down my back, and all over the place that I managed to soak up with my pants and shirt. It's been some time since this tractor has been worked much, and if my memory serves me correctly, the loss of power started all at once. With that being said. My questions are, is my diagnosis correct in your opinion? Do I need to pull the converter? Cat sells a classic converter kit, without having it out and seeing what parts are visibly damaged, is this a viable option. Or should I look for a rebuilt converter? If a rebuilt converter, where is a good place to try and find such an item. Are there any tricks to pulling the converter? Other than not letting it fall on you and smashing you. If someone had a PDF of the converter removal I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Roger
Make sure the converter vent line didnt get bent closed with a stick. Prolly going to have to overhaul the converter. Run tractor up on 2 crossties or dig a trench and park dozer on top pull converter and lower it onto a piece of plate and drag it out overhaul it (not that much to it) Also check amount of endplay in the crank and repair as necessary.
Converter is flooding bad. The only other thing to look at is the converter inlet relief valve. It protects the converter from getting blown apart with cold oil. If it is stuck open or the cooler is clogged it could let full pump flow into the case. This valve is on the converter case, two spools inside. Hose to it from filter and hose from it to rear rh corner of trans. A good test might be to run machine and feel the cooler lines. If the cooler or something is clogged there will be no flow and a cold line/cooler than normal. Later Bob