Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6H Decelerator rattle/knock noise

BuckWild ยท 2020-04-23 12:36

Anyone know what could cause a rattle or knock noise only when pressing the decelerator? The machine runs smooth, no issues other than the noise when you hit the pedal. If your working normally and only fully depress the pedal quickly in between forward/reverse shifting, you never hear it, but if you lightly press the pedal as to slowly come up to a tree to push, you can hear the noise. Even if your foot barely rest ever so slightly on the pedal, you will hear the noise. I checked all the linkage, thinking that maybe it was sloppy and rubbing against something and when you applied a light pressure vibration was transmitting noise into the cab or something, but everything looks fine. I dont know anything about these fuel systems, but best I can figure is something in the injector pump is making the noise and I figure I better deal with it now before something flies apart! The machine is a 1995 D6H Series 2 XL

Replies3
  1. #1Bls repair2020-04-26 14:14

    Did you check linkages with pedal depressed?

  2. #2BuckWild2020-04-26 14:20

    No I have not, I will do that next time I'm on it and have someone hold/work the pedal while I watch. I will check it out and get back to you just as soon as I can get back on it. Rain has been EXCESSIVE here in TN, according to the weather forecast I should be able to get back to work, ohhhh....sometime next year I think

  3. #3BuckWild2020-09-12 21:41

    BLS, just wanted to report back. I believe it was indeed just vibration reporting back through the linkage only when slight pressure was applied to the pedal. This dozer sat for a while before I bought it, the more I use it, the less the noise it makes. Or maybe Im losing my hearing, either way I'm good with it. Thanks for the suggestion