Hi, I'm new to his site... D6H II, 1987 won't start, battery in very good shape, battery poles cleaned, can here solenoids clicking. The default light on dash is blinking on and off. Where do I starting looking ... ?? Or what info do I need to post??
Does the engine turn over on the starter but will not fire or does it not turn over at all..?
The engine doesn't turn at all, all I can hear is the solenoids clicking. If I think back, the starter seemed to have a weaker spin then usually.
Check that you're actually getting continuity through your solenoids. I've had several that still clicked but the contacts were shot and not making contact to engage the starter. A jumper wire to the correct terminal will tell you if the starter is good. Just recently I've had one go bad on the D11 and one on the water truck. What kind of shape are the cables in? Ground good and clean? There's a few other things to check before the starter itself in condemned. Let us know what you find. Junkyard
Thanks, for the reply. The cables are in good shape, I'll check what you recommended. And post what I found, it may take a day or so, though.
I would suggest you go right through the heavy cables from the battery to the starter. Check for tightness, clean off any corrosion, pay especial care to ground cables including the one from the engine to the frame and from the cab to the frame if one exists.
Skip your whole key starter button and jump with a heavy wire right to the solenoid from the hot terminal of the starter. Solenoids take a lot of amperage and the key or button may not be able to provide it because of corrosion or loose connections etc.
Put a volt meter on the starter terminal with the cable from the battery , make sure you get a good ground. Have someone turn the key and see if the voltage drops. I've seen batteries read 25.5 volts , when you load them they fall on their face.
Many thanks for the replies … I'm trying what you are recommending. I'll post the outcome when I know more.
The outcome … One of the batteries bad, The starter solenoid ruined. The starter has way more cranking power. Many Thanks for the replies and help …