I have a D6h serial#3ZF00772 found the screen in the rear bottom of trans and found the one on the intake to the power train pump. Is there any others I'm missing or any other place I need to check? That's the only 2 I can find in My book .My torque converter was making a lot of heat. Pressure washed radiator and rest of dozer. Clean oil coolers. Engine and trans. Dozer isn't sluggish. Spins tracks in second gear. After cleaning belly pans and radiator engine runs cooler 195 for engine pushing hard trans temp stayed around 215 until I was pushing 1st and it got over 220 and seemed to keep building. 1st seems to make it build constant heat. Screen going to power train pump was pretty much completely stopped up. Haven't run it since it was cleaned. Any suggestions or any other screens I should look for?
Also the back side of the fan is hitting debris. Like it has lost its curve and actually over curved on the side that hits the air first. Anyone ever had to replace fan because of fatigue or warping?
You might check the hard nose that carries the radiator for movement. I've seen them move so far that the fan hits the wire guards on the inside and bends the blades. Is the fan reversible?
No it's not reversible. Looks like the fan is losing its curve. And I can't see where it has hit anything.
You can see the gap between the blade and the the piece it's riveted to
I'm having trouble seeing the gap you are talking about but if there is a gap between two parts riveted together I would not be running it. If the blade fails you might be looking for a new radiator or something worse if you are in the path the blade takes. This is the picture of the fan on SIS. If any of those eight rivets are loose or not holding the pieces together tight I would be very worried about how long it would last! Also a distorted fan could be part of your heating problem if in fact you do have one. Would be interesting to see what kind of garbage was in those screens. Might be worth pulling the screens a second time to see how much is in there again. Is this a new to you machine? Any idea of last time the screens were out and cleaned?
Hi There .. Was one of the screens in one of the 2 hoses to trans .. I have a cat d6h 3zf05773 so its similar machine ill look at my parts book ..but I think one hose has a screen like filter in one end of it ….
No one of them was in the very rear bottom middle of the trans behind a cap with 4 bolts holding it and the other was in the tube behind 4 bolts that supplies oil to the power train pump. That screen was completely stopped up. It had buckled where the filter was put together from restriction.
I've owned the machine 3 years now. It's pretty much a push tractor only for my 621's. The fan is holding together. Just starting to get a gap at the side closest to the engine between the blade and the frame the blade is riveted to. Have never cleaned that filter before just the one at the rear of the trans .Which has never had hardly anything on it. Ran dozer for couple hours today. First still is getting hot. But second gear engine and trans temp never got over 200. I pushed hard in 2nd for at least a hour pushing 150 yards and temp stayed good .
I also flush trans and change filter at least once a year with good hi tek 30 wt oil.
I got d6h at shop fixing leaks..(Oil filter housing and transmission pump then cracked hydraulic tank so it will be drained ) ill crawl under it in the morning and see if I remember which hose it was
I've been doing the same to mine. Had several leaks and it was time for a complete service. I appreciate it . I just had my oil filter housing off cleaning the engine and trans oil coolers. Had a front seal go out in my trans pump 2 years ago. Very easy to fix. Got a seal for only $3 at a place called Karman who sells bearings and conveyor belts.
do a oil sample ..its cheap and will tell u if any metal is found ..nice seeing found nothing wrong on sample report .. Try https://www.offroadeq.com/ for fan ..do the user name password and go from there ..I save lots of money on caterpillar parts not aftermarket ..I guess they buy old new stock or cat stores have closed
I'll have to try them. Our cat dealership is a joke as far as service. Only parts changers there. No real mechanics. And they replaced all the parts counter people with what looks like Wal-Mart workers.
Im a shop manager with 30 cats in yard lol Bossman Loves His Yellow Cats
I'm a cat man myself. Except I ended up with a 2015 case cx160c and cx210c and a 94 champion 720a grader. Can't complain though. They've all been very dependable
… Cat has some great Mechanics here.. but all know me by name and when I call them its not going to be easy fix ….Its always How you doing and Ok lets hear it ...then pause .. Let me put u on hold and be right back ..next thing im on a 3 way call to top techs .. And I always call back if I find the fix or problem and what caused it
The best mechanics have all left. Everyone I know that's took a machine in there the last couple years has been highly disappointed .They recently demoted the shop foreman to rental and put the lead field service guy as shop foreman. They done a complete undercarriage 2 years ago for me. Beat aftermarket price with the pssr guy but segment bolts came loose and one of the locks that holds the idler up and down fell out from not being tightened. Last cylinder they rebuilt on the blade lift came apart insiDr cylinder. Apparently they forgot how to tighten up stuff. And they put 1 too many links in my rails. Had to pull them back off and get a link pressed out .
They sent the dozer back to me like that. I went to tighten track adjusters after they brought dozer back to me and they were already maxed out. And it took them 2 months to put the undercarriage on and rebuild the 2 lift cylinders
Can you post a couple photos of the dozer, both from the same side, one with the dozer in the air and the second with the dozer on the ground pushing up on the front of the machine?
wow sorry …………...did you call and complain and send a bill to them for fixing it right or down time...I have ..to cat, volvo, and john deere aka hitachi …...I have a volvo a25c end dump volvo never fixed before I went to work at my company but 3 trips out and parts totaled 3800 and machine wasn't fixed I called main office and told them what was wrote on work order and what tech found and I made a point this didn't fix it this didn't fix it and your tech never checked this so how are we going to go about this zero balance on work performed just parts 800 is better then 3800 any day
Yes had to complain a lot to get heard. They tried shrugging it off like it wasn't their fault .They deducted around 9k off my bill finally. They lost my business. I'm only 45 minutes away from a different cat dealer in another state. Spent over 300k with them year before last on service and rentals. Haven't spent no more than 3k with them in the last year and a half.
the only pic I have John c
It doesn't look like the hard nose has been slamming into the engine covers. Measure the space between the hard nose and the top engine cover with the blade in the air. Any movement will be the result of worn pins and bosses that hold the nose on the frame. That is the usual reason I've seen for troubles with the fan and engine side of the radiator.
The hard nose is pretty stable. The outside of the fan blades haven't been hitting anything. It's just the side closest to the engine has fatigued and getting a gap between the frame the fan blades are riveted to .