Hello all I have a customer with a d6k and we have had nothing but emissions problems, starter with deff injector harness and pump, then nox sensors failed, now we have had numerous times where it comes up with code E995 (2) and (3) we baked the dpf to save some money as we were told it was a service life of machine and is replaced, no my questions is could a egr or backflow preventer be causing this issue? We lose turbo boost within seconds of starting and sounds like a jet engine, any insight would be helping
The sound you’re hearing is likely the EBPV or exhaust back pressure valve closing which is used to create the heat needed to perform the regen. Do you hear the back pressure valve opening and closing? If it opens soon after it closes, it is likely that the egr valve is stuck closed. One thing you might consider doing is performing the soot sensor test using the attenuator cable, it is possible the soot sensor is feeding incorrect data to the ECM.
Yes can hear and visual see it opening and closing and yes saw in the steps to connect attenuator, I’ll have to Pick up one, now I did remove exhaust from Dpf side just to see if any soot, and there was tons of soot just sitting in the exhaust from turbo to dpf
Is the back pressure valve opening back up soon after it closes?
No stays closed if I throttle it’ll open then closes again
shoild My egr valve position change when throttling? I normally would think so but it says 0 Egr diff pressure and full throttle is 42
How fast should dpf soot loading percent rise? I have yet to find any data on the relation to change of it
Really sounds like the egr is stuck closed. I’d pull it and run the air motors test and watch it move. Be prepared for the valve to be stuck in the body, very common.
I will check that! What soot percent should the machine do an active regen by itself ?
Post a serial number so I can look up accurate information.
Dfr00269
Egr command started working and seems everything else was, had operator take it to try and get it to fail sootloading got up to 81% no passive regen
I thought they used to tell you some of those numbers or at least hint at them. Best I can come up with is, manual regen will not activate under 70% soot load and the E995 (2) event begins to activate at 116%. So I’d guess somewhere around 100-105% it should start soot reduction. I do know that they will never read 0% or anywhere near it. I think the manual regen kicks off around 70%
Okay I will be back at site tomorrow to check it out
Don't know much about Cat emissions. But had similar problems on a JD 437e knuckleboom log loader. My dad kept running it with a bad turbo actuator. Well it monitors ash and soot. They won't burn out ash, and it takes them like 6,000 hours to fill then you have to replace, or clean if you know how. I wasn't aware they wouldn't clear soot. I figured out the actuator part on my own but it still stayed in limp and it would start forced regen and would kick out everytime. Finally had to call the 400.00 per hour big white James River Equipment truck just so he could tell me that it needed a new filter section in the exhaust and their life is expected to be 6,000 hours and the machine had 7,200. Turns out Deere had my problems planned when they built it although my dad was a heavy contributor. Could be a problem only a new filter will fix?
Currently putting it to the test has it up to 98% driving around, went down to 82.79% and climbing again, just trying to figure out what it’s doing, might need to acquire the attenuator and do a test of the soot sensors
W well didnt do regen at 105 climbs to 116 throws code and keeps climbing. Back pressure valve kicks in to heat up machine, getting into egr now
Went to remove egr, stuck in the body had to remove it all, will try a new egr
Stuck egr will definitely cause soot levels to climb quickly on those.
Installed new egr, drove around for 3 hours and wasn’t giving us any issues, will Let operator send it to work and see some results
Had soot level at 82% and within 3 hours with sitting at about 86%