Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6N belt tensioner

DmanD6N ยท 2023-07-20 21:47

I have a 2008 D6N serial #CAT00D6NCDJY01329 and have developed a twenty bird sound from the serpentine belt. I squirted some lubricant on the 2 idlers and it helped a lot. I want to take those belt idlers off and lubricate them properly. I looked and don't see a tightened. Can someone point it out? Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1heymccall2023-07-20 23:01

    The idlers will have sealed bearings in them. Most likely a 6203 or two. And there is most certainly a tensioner.

  2. #2Nige2023-07-21 05:55

    Just to confuse matters the tensioner is considered to be part of the alternator installation.

  3. #3DmanD6N2023-07-21 06:52

    Thanks guys!

  4. #4Nige2023-07-21 07:07

    If you need any Part Numbers please ask.

  5. #5OzDozer2023-07-21 19:30

    This tensioner is pretty much a standard item, available from a lot of suppliers, not just Cat. It's used on a myriad of engine makes and models. They're manufactured by the likes of Dayco and Gates, and your regular belt and pulley supplier can supply one that is probably better priced than the Cat version.

  6. #6DmanD6N2023-07-25 10:57

    Bearings look good. Still a chirping tweety sound but it went away. Maybe the belt.