Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6N or D6K

MattR · 2021-11-26 19:42

Any pros and cons to which choice to make? Thinking of replacing my d6c and d7e with just one newer unit. We do general excavation and road building. I do want something with a 6 way blade. I'm sure many of you have owned and operated both. I've been on neither. Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1Shimmy12021-11-26 21:35

    You're going to want at least a 6N. A 6K is not as much machine as your 6C. Not to cause a commotion, but a Komatsu D61 might be a better fit to replace what you have now.

  2. #2nicky 68a2021-11-27 02:09

    Personally,I’ve allways been a D6N fan and they’ve earned me a few coins over the years with their reliability and resale value.I don’t like the look of the D6K,but I hired one in for a job years ago and really liked it.It controlled and handled very well. As for Komatsu,they have allways made an excellent tractor in my opinion,dare I say they have had the upper hand on Cat in many respects,but……parts pricing,availability and resake value have allways steered me away from them here in the UK.

  3. #3nicky 68a2021-11-27 09:29

    Wouldn’t want to cause a Komatsu commotion Shimmy

  4. #4Shimmy12021-11-27 10:57

    No worries. I only suggested a 61 because I think it would be more the kind of machine MattR is used to. Absolutely nothing wrong with a 6N, but a D61 will have a bit more lead in it's pencil, and I'd hate to hear MattR back here complaining about it.

  5. #5nicky 68a2021-11-27 11:00

    Shimmy,I’m a big fan of Komatsu dozers,I just can’t admit it to myself.

  6. #6Shimmy12021-11-27 14:25

    The Kool-aid in construction can get just as potent as it can in agriculture.

  7. #7MattR2021-11-28 08:38

    That's a good one!

  8. #8MattR2021-11-28 08:39

    No, I appreciate hearing about all the different manufacturers. Of course including John Deere. I have a 550 g already also and it's a really good machine

  9. #9Shimmy12021-11-28 14:11

    Well, well, well. You already have a finish dozer, so you really have no need for a 6K unless you are only looking for a finish machine. Based on that info, and what you have currently, if you are thinking at all about more production, a 6T or 65 is going to be where it's at.

  10. #10MattR2021-11-29 07:39

    Thank you for the info fellows