I am buying a '97 d6r used in logging Oregon with 11,000 hrs. I have a lot of projects and this d6r has a needed winch-grapple combination. But honestly I only know basic maintenance. I have a couple mechanics I've worked with in the past, but my operator can't handle anything of a major repair. How do I learn more, any good starting points! how do I predict hours left on this 3306. What major components are likely go out in the next 2,000 hrs. What primary tools for a small shop. I need help! Undercarriage time components -final drive. Anyone out there in Redding, CA want to make a trip to Roseburg, OR?
To get an idea of hours left on major components get fluid samples if the seller is willing. Have them tested by your local Cat dealer. May cost ya a few bucks but may save ya 10k or so for a reman 3306. A lot depends on the previous owners maintanence practices. 11,000 hrs is generally considered about time for major component attention especially for a logging machine as they are subjected to extreme conditions and loggers are notorious for patching things together to keep the logs moving. That said much of the repairs may have already been done and I know of many examples of these machines with 20,000 or more hours and still in service. If the machine has been well maintained, regular, manufacturer recommended fluid and filter changes then my guess as to what might be your most likely failure in the near future would be undercarriage related. Check the condition of the final drive sprockets, idlers, bottom rollers, rails and pads. Oil samples from the trans and final drive will give you a pretty good idea of the service hours left on major internal componants. One of the well known weaknesses of all Cat high track dozers are track frame trunnions. Not a hugely expensive repair but a huge PIA if one fails on the side of a hill. Most likely both trunnions have been replaced by now after 11,000 hrs in the woods but I would have an experienced mechanic inspect and replace if neccesary before putting machine to back to work. All in all these are pretty solid machines, good luck.