Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6r grid heater

Newibiner ยท 2022-12-08 22:36

Hello, D6r serial ade000634 Is it possible to add the grid heater to this machine? I assume Cat would have to program the ecm to enable the grid heater. The machine has the ether injection already. The dozer has a tile plow on it, so plugging the block heater in the middle of a field is not real handy. Thank you, Shawn

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2022-12-08 22:59

    It appears as though it is possible. It appears as though the existing studs will be long enough to accept the heater element, but good luck getting the nuts off them. It looks as though the installation may also require the addition of a relay. See attached. I'll send you the electrical schematic, the AIH setup is easier to understand on that document. I'm not sure if the heater would have to be programmed in the engine ECM. It may be that all that's required is to plug in the heater relay and when the key is turned on the heater is automatically powered if the ambient temp is below a certain value. Is there a problem with the ECM-controlled ether.?

  2. #2Newibiner2022-12-09 19:27

    The ether system does work, I rather leave that as a last resort. I just think having a grid heater would be nice addition. Thanks for the help

  3. #3Nige2022-12-09 19:31

    BTW Cat no longer sells the 1U-8846 gasket sealant listed in the parts. The equivalent is Loctite 5127 High Flex Form-In-Place Gasket. When you install the heater make sure that air inlet eblow can't pull any dust through, or you will be in for a replacement engine in quick style.

  4. #4Delmer2022-12-09 21:56

    I've always heard ether and grid heaters, or glow plugs, were a one OR the other, never both on the same engine. Ether injection is completely different from a can of starting fluid, one is controlled, one is not.

  5. #5Newibiner2022-12-09 22:14

    I believe the grid heater only works till around 15 degrees, colder than that the ecm injects ether.

  6. #6Newibiner2022-12-09 22:19

    Roger that, thank you.

  7. #7Tinkerer2022-12-09 22:19

    If you install the grid heater, remove the bottle of ether.

  8. #8Nige2022-12-09 22:37

    I was going to suggest to go into the ECM Config screen and deactivate the ether injection once the intake heater was installed. I wouldn't fancy having a heater and ether both potentially active at the same time.