Is it unusual for a D6R XL to have no track guards whatsoever? Would it be expected there would be threaded holes in the track frame to take them?
Special order? IDK
Too general of a question. Post a specific Serial Number (TTT-prefix perchance.?) to at least give something to search for. Maybe that particular model they were not even an option.?
Another question. Is it currently fitted with SystemOne or "regular" Heavy-Duty undercarriage.?
Its a machine for sale that I'm going to look at, track gear is after market
Can you ask the seller for a S/No.? Aftermarket = HD undercarriage, no doubt. But the $64k question is was it originally built that way or with SystemOne and converted later to HD, and was it done using a factory procedure to make the swap.? I have a vague recollection that according to the factory some 6R & 6T models couldn't be converted from S1 to HD because of the number of track rollers in the frame. 7 vs 6 I think it was. That's why the S/N is so important to determine how the tractor originally left the factory.
Ok yip will get serial number. I don't know anything about system one track gear sorry. Can you fill me in please
SystemOne is a Cat-patented (I think - that's why aftermarket suppliers don't offer an equivalent) type of track link setup that looks like a giant roller chain such as you'd find on the rear end of a motorcycle for example. The links are not cranked like HD and the bushes rotate. S1 sprockets, idlers, and track rollers are all different to HD. That's what makes it so important on a tractor originally built with S1 ex-factory and converted to HD undercarriage in the field that it's been done the right way.
Ok thanks for that
Are you talking about rock guards or track guides. Rock guards are an option that cost extra when you spec out a new dozer. I can't remember the last time I've seen them installed on a new machine. I don't think that Cat has a patent on the Sys 1 track chains. Komatsu has been the same thing called "Plus" undercarriage. The rollers and idlers are conventional.
S1 could be just a trade mark in that case, I’m not sure.
Rock guards track guards what's the difference. Im use to having a full length track guard on a dozer inside and out, holds the chains on the rollers when on steep sideways angles like when battering banks down, we keep the wear strip built up so they are a snug fit against the chain
Quite a lot acksherley. This is a rock guard. ...........and this is a track guide. By the sound of it you are more familar with rock guards. As a comment a lot of D6-size tractors get used for finishing work so would not require rock or track guiding guards at all. So it's probably no coincidence that the photos in every Cat sales brochure I looked at show these tractors equipped with no guards whatsoever. The following guard arrangements are listed as Optional Equipment. There are no guards shown as standard: -
Unless you are working in conditions that really need it, ie. loose, running rock, full length rock guards do more harm than good in my opinion. Mud and crap get jammed in there and cause leaky seals and flatted rollers.
All maintenance people hate rock guards with a passion. At the first excuse they come off and never seem to find their way back on again.
So it had the bolt holes in the track frame to take guards, but it was a wreck so I needn't worry about it
No photos.?
Got this off it
Built December 2002. Equipped with HD-type tracks of the medium-duty variety, so not S1. That indicates it was likely bought as a finishing dozer otherwise it would've had something like Extreme Service tracks on it. No track guides or rock guards, but then based on the U/C above probably not surprising.
Interesting, thanks for that