I put a new engine in a D6t lay serial number. Do I need cat et to get it going. It wouldn’t start but I think I have electric problems. The fuel primer pump wouldn’t run. It had 24 volts on one of the wires to the frame and 0 between the two wires that go to it with the switch pushed in. The engine turned over good and after awhile I lost all the dash lightsin the cab. Is everything on it 24 volts?
To answer a couple of your questions. It should not require ET to get it going and yes everything on the machine is 24v not just the engine.
That’s what I thought by the way the batteries are hooked up. I wasn’t sure if there was a converter somewhere or something.
The fuel primer will only work with the ignition switch in the off position. It will take a bit of priming to bleed all the air out.
That’s good to know. I think I had the switch on.
I only have 2 volts going to the main relay on the small wire. Have 24.3 on the big one and I can’t figure out where the bad connection is. Any suggestions?
Do you have an electrical schematic to help you trace the loss of power.? The 308-YL (smaller) wire at the main relay comes through a breaker. Have you checked that to see whether it is tripped.? The breaker (26) is below and to the right of the fuse box (25).
Cancel the above. The power on the 308-YL wire for the Main Relay comes from the key switch.
I don’t have power at the key switch either. Does the power to the key come from the ecm? All of the fuses are good and the ones that can have power with the key off have 24 volts on both sides. I have checked the connectors and they appear to be good, no corrosion at all.
I sent you a copy of the electrical schematic.
Got the electric issue fixed. Found a bad wire. It wouldn’t start without ether. But starts with ether and stays running so I put a new fuel pressure regulator in and that made no difference. The heui pump is new. What else can I check with basic tools?
Can you clarify something. Is the engine you installed simply "new to you" rather than being brand-new.? If you bought the engine used then what else did you do to it other than install a new HEUI pump and a new fuel pressure regulator.?
It was a new long block from cat. It came with new heui pump, cylinder head, oil pump, oil cooler. The injectors are from the old engine. We cranked it with the valve cover off and there was no oil spraying so I am confident the injector seals are good. Checked the pins in the ecm connector and the appropriate voltage was there. The engine turns at 200 rpm when cranking. Tach works. I think I am to the point of needing cat et.
If you put the old injectors back into the new engine that's the first thing I would suggest to replace before proceding any further. The other option I can see would be get ET on it and see what the actual hydraulic pressure is while cranking compared to the desired pressure requested by the ECM. Unless the actual pressure is higher than the desired pressure then the electronics won't activate and the injectors will not fire. If that needs Cat then maybe it could be the less expensive alternative than simply replacing a set of injectors.
I’m going to try to get cat to come look at it. Injectors are pretty expensive parts to put in.