Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D7 17a

2stickbill ยท 2011-09-21 17:34

This old D7 been resting a few years.But it is complete.Anyone interested in it.Hate to see it scrapped.Near Houston Texas.

Replies21
  1. #1D&GExcavating2011-09-29 01:06

    If i lived a little closer i would definitely save it

  2. #22stickbill2011-09-29 16:45

    Well I filled the cylinders up with penetrating oil last week.Going Saturday to see if it will turn over.The owner said if it runs he will put it to work on his property.I have a good feeling about hearing that ol D7 purring.Been a long time since I have heard one.Never got to operate one maybe this will be the one.

  3. #32stickbill2011-10-01 22:42

    Update.Removed the Injectors and turned it over.Dang blew diesel and penetrating oil every where.Put the Injectors back in and bled the air out.Hard to get her going but finally fired up.Run like a champ.Tracks are froze up going to give them a bath in diesel.

  4. #4ACcrazy2011-10-02 08:30

    Excellent! If you can, post more pics or maybe video of it moving for the first time. Just yesterday I went and looked at an old Allis-Chalmers HD-21 sitting out in the timber. It's gone considerably downhill since I last saw it 17 years ago. It's been there 30+ years. I guess it quit steering, so rather than fix it, they pulled it off the road and parked it. What a shame. I hate seeing old equipment go to waste like that.

  5. #52stickbill2011-10-02 11:19

    I'll try more pics and a vidio.But right now the rails are chains are froze up.Will not move.Got to soak in diesel a week then try it.

  6. #6OldandWorn2011-10-02 16:20

    I need a machine like that. Any updates on the D6D?

  7. #7dressed2kill2011-10-04 12:51

    that thing has got some much history behind it, if only it could say where it has been...

  8. #8ACcrazy2011-10-17 20:07

    Updates??

  9. #92stickbill2011-10-17 21:42

    The D6D is waiting on a head.I told the owner where to take it for rebuild but no went to some guy with a shop in his garage behind the house.So now he spent to much on other stuff so the head has to wait.Yea the guy told him it couldn't be fixed.But I know different.O well his money not mine.

  10. #102stickbill2011-10-17 21:46

    Well the ol girl is rockin and rollin.Went Sat.pushed some dirt and trees.Hard to believe everything works like it should.I think this machine was well taken care of.No patching are welds.Now I need to learn how to put a movie on here.Got me a short one.Hard to hold a camera with all them levers to pull.

  11. #11ACcrazy2011-10-18 08:58

    Excellent! That's great to hear. Looking forward to the vid. Maybe you could get someone to video you running it? I've never posted a movie so I'm no help to ya.

  12. #122stickbill2011-12-11 14:25

    Here is a vid.I hope. http://youtu.be/f2ZtZH1GruE

  13. #13ACcrazy2011-12-22 09:34

    Cool! I watched this one too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wn0ArFA0mk&feature=related It's amazing how far you can pull those old engines down before you kill it. But you managed to! lol. Did you conquer that brush pile?

  14. #142stickbill2011-12-22 10:40

    Yes I got it and a few more.I had to be careful the girl holding the camera was a little to close.Tried to show her a log that would have hit her if I pushed it.She never understood the warning.

  15. #15chevytrux532011-12-29 00:53

    wow thats awesome u got it running

  16. #162stickbill2011-12-29 23:02

    Yep been operating it.Runs good plenty of power.Only thing one final is pouring oil.Thought about filling it with grease.Probably a lot of worn parts inside.

  17. #17pp13bnos2012-01-07 10:19

    Very cool. Awesome to see old equipment saved from the scrap yard.

  18. #18rezod12012-01-13 14:45

    Thanks for the u tube videos of the 17a, I have a 57 in the shed that needs fired up this year just to hear that purdy motor sing!! Thanks

  19. #19diggingfish2012-01-26 22:40

    COOL I think I have her sister This is cool to see. I bought an old 17A the other day. Didnt know the shape of her internally but she has brand new undercarriage from rollers to rails. everyone kept telling me to scrap it and run. I saw your post and decided to hang on to her for a little while. Gave her some ATF and acetone down the stack came back a while later and gave her a push with the old HD11E popped the clutch twice and it was a beautiful thing watching her blow ATF all over my dad. I haven't got back to her since then.

  20. #202stickbill2012-01-27 06:49

    Takes a lot to kill the older Cats.Lot of big farmers and ranchers still use old dozers.You let these new ones sit for a while go to use them and the furry creatures have wrecked havoc with the electric system.

  21. #21diggingfish2012-01-28 22:01

    yes sir I can see where that would be a huge issue. It is strange though how many people are scared of the whole cable idea. but the guys that were building these tractors back then sure knew what it took to make something tough. I wish redoing the motors was still feasible parts wise. I sure have had a few of them that I have wanted to save but couldn't make the dollars come out where i could justify fixing them. is there anyone around with some parts? I need two blade supports for a 12' angle blade. some one cut two off for scrap :Banghead