Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D7 17a. 1956 dozer transmission fault

Billhook ยท 2024-07-30 14:12

Owned the old girl since 1999 so for 25 years it has been perfect for jobs around the farm, chalk road levelling, work in the woods, pond creation etc. I was pushing up a heap of brash into a burn pile and there was an unfamiliar clunk when I backed out of the heap. After this it made a bad noise in gears 1,2 & 3 not so loud in 4&5 as can be seen and heard on this video However there is no noise at all in the same gears when I put her in reverse I assume that a bearing has collapsed on the forward/ reverse shaft which causes the pressure to make the noise going forward but somehow releases the pressure going backwards but I am really at a loss to fathom the logic The other issue which happened at the same time was white smoke coming from the clutch brake. Changing from forwards to reverse had become much harder without teeth grinding and the gears seemed to bind more. But now after the noise the clutch brake works well and the gears do not bind. Any ideas anyone for my next move?

Replies2
  1. #1hector gemme2024-07-30 21:30

    You could removed the cluch inspection cover and look inside if the oil pump gear is still on the pump shaft

  2. #2Billhook2024-07-31 00:14

    Thanks, will report back