Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D7f engine swap for D6c 74a

charles walton · 2024-12-17 14:41

I have found a D333 in a d7f and I was wondering if I could put it in my D6c 74a?

Replies19
  1. #1charles walton2024-12-19 10:28

    Does nobody have any input on this subject?

  2. #2Nige2024-12-19 10:48

    Only to say that you are proposing to install a 180 BHP engine in place of one that is/was rated at 120 BHP. Also the D7F is a powershift transmission where the 74A is direct drive. The torque characteristics may be totally different.

  3. #3.RC.2024-12-19 16:23

    Not only that Nige, the 74A would be a D333, while the D7F was either a D333C or a 3306. Totally different engines.

  4. #4Nige2024-12-19 16:36

    According to the OP the D7F engine he has been offered is a D333 of some flavour or other. I agree with you it is most likely to be a D333C which is different bore (4.75" vs 4.50" IIRC) compared to the early series D333 in the 74A-prefix D6C.

  5. #5charles walton2024-12-19 21:21

    Even if the bore is different are the two engines the same externally? I don’t see any problem with more power as long as I realize that it’s possible to overpower the clutch. For the price I found this engine I am willing to try it if it is a drop in swap.That being said I don’t want to buy it if it won’t bolt in and work without major fab work.

  6. #6charles walton2024-12-19 21:23

    The 74a and the 76a have the same engine and the 76a is a power shift.

  7. #7.RC.2024-12-20 00:03

    The D333 and the D333C are totally different engines. Those D6C's with an A in the serial number were the earlier ones with the D333 engine. They were replaced by the likes of the 10K (power shift) and 99J (direct drive) and they had the D333C, then later on the 3306 installed. There is a plethora of later D6C serial numbers out there. 46J, 47J, 56J, 55J, 69J, 17R, 26K, just off the top of my head. Can you fit a D333C from a D7F into a 74A series? Maybe you can with enough time and spare parts. Hell I have heard of people putting Series 60 Detroits into Cat scrapers to get around some emission laws in California. but I can tell you straight away the bell housing will in all likelihood totally different. For example from memory the trans/hydraulic pump on the D7F are driven on the right side of the bell housing. On the D6C, they are on the left. Different mounts, different bolt hole patterns. Also you will find the D6C's fitted with the D333C engine were naturally aspirated as they were still 125hp.

  8. #8charles walton2024-12-20 09:54

    Thanks,that’s the info I needed to decide against it.

  9. #9charles walton2024-12-20 09:56

    Thanks to Nige and all others that contributed to my post. This site is priceless for info and advice!

  10. #10Nige2024-12-20 10:56

    Back to my post above of powershift vs direct drive. 74A & 76A models have slightly differing engine arrangements which may or may not be significant.

  11. #11chidog2024-12-20 20:08

    The only way you know for sure is have the engines there side by side. And be real good at checking dimensions. I guess Cat is not like GM where there was more standardization, of mounting and flywheel housings etc.

  12. #12charles walton2024-12-21 08:24

    Is the bell housing on these engines machined to the block or could it be changed out with the original engine? I have never looked at one. I bought this tractor a few years ago and I haven’t had time to dig into it yet but I’m about to.

  13. #13Jimbo2024-12-21 09:00

    Bell is bolted to the rear of the block. Flywheel, etc.. must be removed first

  14. #14charles walton2024-12-21 12:35

    I’m also wondering if the oil pan bolts to the bell housing and if it would line up.

  15. #15Jimbo2024-12-21 12:41

    The oil pan is independent of the bellhousing

  16. #16charles walton2024-12-21 14:32

    Do you know if the I could swap the mounts and would my radiator work?

  17. #17Jimbo2024-12-21 15:10

    I do not

  18. #18Nige2024-12-21 15:30

    What you are attempting there is no manual or procedure for. As @chidog posted above “ The only way you know for sure is have the engines there side by side. And be real good at checking dimensions.” This is one of those cases where you need the capability and adaptability to fly by the seat of your pants.

  19. #19charles walton2025-01-15 14:06

    Ok, I have found another engine in a 76a and I’m planning on getting it and putting it in the 74a so now I’m wondering what differences there might be in it? I’m hoping you or someone on here can tell me if it will be a + or -