Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D7H residual brake pressure pressure test.

excavator ยท 2020-06-19 18:20

I have a customer with a D7H series II, serial number 79Z01640 with powershift trans and lever steer. They were having heating problems and after checking found that the right steering clutches were bad, lots of metal in the system. The transmission and torque converter have been rebuilt by NC Machinery and it has a new trans. pump and cooler. A local shop did all the work and rebuilt the steering clutches and brakes themselves. I was called in to check and adjust the pressures. I'm finding 2 issues, any test where the spec. is "less than 10 psi" such as "with pedal pushed down, no lever movement", we are getting around 75 psi. and it slowly drops, reaching 10 psi in a minute or so. Is this correct or should it be 10 psi immediately? The other issue is for the steering and brake lube, the book says to check in the center of 3 ports on the final drive housing. Checking it there we get 1 psi. Another Cat print out says to check it in the left rear and right front ports, that gives us 335 psi, so I'm looking for the correct procedure. I removed the center plug and cranked it over and we have good flow, just no pressure. I was not involved with the rebuilding of the clutches so am not familiar as to how they are put together and even after spending as much money as they did with the local Cat store they have no desire to give us any info on this. Any ideas and information would be welcome. Thanks.

Replies3
  1. #1Mark2502020-06-20 19:33

    Hi,the first thing to do is to confirm all linkage adjustments are correct Next when you do your tests USE AN UNSNUBBED GAUGE other wise your test results will delayed you need instant readings And yes there are delays in the system The lube test port is in the middle. the reason that they mention left and right is because the same final assembly is used for left and right hand sides so the test positions will move depending on the side you are working on

  2. #2excavator2020-06-20 21:35

    Thank you. I have been using electronic gauges, is that possibly why it takes longer to drop? I will try a regular gauge and see how it goes. Any idea why I would have no pressure on the center port? Is there an orfice in the final that creates the pressure? Or is it possible to assemble the brake and steering clutches wrong causing no pressure?

  3. #3Mark2502020-06-21 00:09

    The brake lube pressure originates from the middle section of the transmission pump