Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D7H Transmission Filter Dilemma

Queenslander · 2022-07-30 01:37

Have just taken delivery of a D7H, 5BF 06261, zero hrs since trans. filter and oil change Worked for two hrs. and trans. filter bypass warning activates. Pulled filter, 132 8876, only examined externally but looks clean. SIS is a bit confusing, at least for me, as it lists both this filter and 1R 0741. First filter is ulta high efficiency and probably not suitable for transmission use. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Replies29
  1. #1nicky 68a2022-07-30 03:08

    I wonder if the zero hours on oil and filters tells a story.You say you just bought it or took delivery. I think those UHE filters are for clean up only and need to changed when light comes on until clean. That’s assuming it’s not currently making metal. I hope it’s ok for you

  2. #2Nige2022-07-30 05:27

    Cut the old filter open and squeeze a section of it in a vice and have a look would be my first suggestion. I like running UHE filters in power trains, it helps keep them clean and prolongs component life. It may be nothing more than the new oil was not as clean as it should have been and the filter is cleaning it up. Wouldn't be the first time. SIS shows me 139-1534 for the power train filter for your S/N which services to 132-8876. No mention of 1R-0741. The 164-7577 filter bypass switch are notorious for failing, or at least getting tired inside. I'd have a look at that switch and while you're in there take a close look at the 9M-1986 Spring in the bypass valve. The free length should be 47.2mm. When you've done all that the attached Service Mag might be of some interest.

  3. #3Nige2022-07-30 07:01

    I don't know if you have any way of testing it but the filter bypass switch contacts are normally closed and should open at 50 ± 3 psi.

  4. #4Queenslander2022-07-30 17:32

    According to the service mag I could try 343-4465, so now we have three filter choices. When searching on sis, this is the other option that leads to the 1R-0741 number. We had Cat do a TA2 inspection on the machine but that would/should have happened before the oil and filter change, no issues found there. Have had the switch, spool and spring out just to check operation, continuity etc. Didn’t have spring spec. then, so we can check that now. After start up it takes a couple of minutes of mid speed idle to activate the warning, will go out on low idle.

  5. #5Nige2022-07-30 18:08

    What grade of oil is in the power train.? I’m assuming it’s TO-4.?

  6. #6Nige2022-07-31 05:52

    I found the 139-1534 number by going directly to the filter rather than via the PT oil lines. That's also where I found the Service Mag SEPD1230 regarding the optional elements. I think on the one you looked at the filter P/N had not been updated from 1R0741. 343-4465 is the latest iteration of powertrain filter if a customer does not use UHE elements in that system.

  7. #7Queenslander2022-07-31 16:54

    I’ll talk to the dealer later this morning, confirm the oil and hit him up for a new switch and spring. Try that first with the UHE filter and go from there.

  8. #8Nige2022-07-31 17:18

    If it has SAE50 in it right now you might be better trying it with SAE30.

  9. #9Queenslander2022-07-31 23:53

    Yes, it does have a SAE50 TO4 in it. I’ve always used a 30 here but he sells a lot of tractors into the north (tropics) and puts 50 into everything apparently.

  10. #10Nige2022-08-01 03:06

    In that case I’d suggest switching it to 30 before doing anything else.

  11. #11Pony2022-08-01 16:28

    Can't help you fix it Queenslander, but am surprised you are able to work that heavy jigger at the moment, being so wet. I got the truck bogged the other day trying to back into the ramp at the yards.

  12. #12Queenslander2022-08-01 17:10

    We couldn’t even get the float right in to our place for fear of bogging it on an unsealed river bank that was under water just last week. Unloaded the tractor, walked it to where we hope to pull some fairly high ridge country and hooked up the chain when the alarm sounded. Maybe it’s trying to tell us something. More showers forecast later this week.

  13. #13Queenslander2022-08-02 04:40

    Have only done a couple more hours but a filter change to 343-4465, a advanced efficiency filter, seems to have solved the problem so far. Not sure I have enough TDTO 30 on hand to change oil straight up so will run for a couple of days and change oil and filter again.

  14. #14Nige2022-08-02 06:16

    I was once a big believer in SAE50 until I got involved in some research into transmission clutch engagement times and saw the difference in time to reach full clutch pressure between 30 & 50 in the same transmission. This led to extended clutch slippage during engagement and was causing lower transmission life. Now I’d only use 50 if there was a very specific reason for using it and not just because the O&M recommended it for the ambient temperature at the job site.

  15. #15Queenslander2022-08-02 06:53

    The 0 to 35c spec for 30 is a better fit for us than the 10 to 50c for 50. Anyway, thanks for your help once again Nige, I would never have known about the filter upgrade without reading the service bulletin that you posted.

  16. #16Queenslander2022-08-05 22:26

    Might have to park up for awhile. Had both tractors stuck at times, but thankfully not at the same time. The 7 managed to walk out of this mess…just.

  17. #17.RC.2022-08-06 06:42

    Quite unusual to see it like that in August. Good to see though for a change. Are they planning on stickraking what they are pulling? Otherwise looking at the recently tordoned timber makes you wonder why pull it. I have been taking out the crappy iron barks up here. Ordinarily we would leave them, but it turns out the ones we left end up dying anyway. The Moreton Bay Ash trees here have turned into a real pest. They are worse then wattle in places. We suspect after cyclone Marcia came through it germinated billions of seedlings, mostly along the creeks. I am lucky I have not got much of a problem with them, but some of the neighbours have some work to do before Queen Anna loses popularity and decides to take it out on farmers once again.

  18. #18Queenslander2022-08-06 07:15

    RC, this is on our place, and it was chopped about four years ago. The plan is to get the dead timber on the ground and get a decent fire through it. The grass growth, from a combination of response from the chopping and the terrific season, has been unreal. Just need some hot dry weather, but we may not see any for a while if the forecasters are right. Certainly pulling well, but we’ve decided to knock off until it dries out a bit…too hard on the nerves.

  19. #19.RC.2022-08-06 18:07

    Ahh OK. A good fire if you can get one this year should burn a good bit of it up plus rejuvenate the spear grass. I would bet some seca and siran stylo would grow on the ridges there if it is not already there.

  20. #20Pony2022-08-07 07:43

    I've been lighting fires for the past week, its a bit early, but I think if I don't get in now it will be to green very soon. It's not burning real well anyway, especially the speargrass, it's already too green.

  21. #21Queenslander2022-08-07 17:03

    That used to be the old saying wasn’t it? Light the place up and head off to the Ekka.

  22. #22.RC.2022-08-10 04:36

    Long before my time the story was the neighbour used to do exactly that. Made lots of friends burning everyone out.

  23. #23Queenslander2023-01-10 04:55

    Have only just got back to working the dozers recently now that things have dried out a bit. Changed oil to TDTO 30 after the filter change, no further dramas there. Now that the weather has warmed up we were seeing both the engine and trans. temps running higher than we would like. After checking with two different IR temp guns, it appears both gauges are reading at least 20°C higher than the actual temp. Engine sender looks new so someone has replaced that recently...seems unlikely that both gauges would fail together. Have checked the wiring connector that is common to both these two gauges and the fuel level gauge. Fuel gauge isn't working and not really needed but wondering if it could be affecting the other two.

  24. #24Nige2023-01-10 08:58

    Filter bypass events a thing of the past now.? Still using the 132-8876.? I would if it was mine. I assume you have already given the radiator a good pressure cleaning.? What temps are you seeing on the radiator inlet & outlet.? Where the gauges “normally” sit can be unique to a particular tractor but if you are seeing temps that are worrying you post some numbers.

  25. #25Queenslander2023-01-10 14:33

    Well, this morning I worked it reasonably hard for a couple of hours and both gauges were reading 90. Across the head to the sender and up to the top tank was low 70s. Bottom tank was about 8° cooler. Trans. was much the same, checked it on the top of the filter housing and at the oil cooler. Run it all day and both gauges will go to 100 and beyond but no alarm. Both gauges fall if you pull up and give it a spell…engine quicker than trans.

  26. #26Nige2023-01-10 18:49

    Coolant won't go into alarm until the temp hits well over 100. Converter outlet temperature alarm probably 125+. I don't think that's right. The heat from the power train oil goes into the engine coolant via the powertrain oil cooler. If you stop the machine and put the trans into neutral leaving the engine at medium-to-high Idle RPM the TC outlet temp should initially drop like a stone until it gets closer to the coolant temperature at which point the rate of temp fall should level off. Power train cooler plugged maybe.?

  27. #27Queenslander2023-01-11 00:45

    The alarms operate on separate senders/switchs don’t they? When I was confident that the machine wasn’t actually overheating I managed to get the engine gauge up to 110 at one stage. When checking trans. cooler I was getting good temp drop from inlet to outlet, can’t tell you what it was from memory. Iam having trouble finding a number for the power train sender... I see power train switch listed but otherwise the closest I can find is "Sender Temperature (pto)" , power train oil perhaps? 8N 3844

  28. #28Nige2023-01-11 09:51

    8N-3844 is correct. The hydraulic oil temp sender is the same Part Number so you could swap them for a test if you wished. Keep any eye on your messages for incoming.........

  29. #29aog_allen2023-01-19 20:33

    Put a 1R-716 filter back on. We had the same problem on our d6h when they pushed the new ultra high efficiency filters on us.