Does anybody have any experience with the 35a's? I found a deal on one that's almost to good to pass up but i don't know much about them. I've been around the 46's some so i was wondering about the differences good/bad or otherwise. Thanks
Howdy there, I had one long ago. The 35A is basically identical to 36A/46A and is different in that it has a Torque converter and different manual tranny than the others. If I remember correctly mine was a diesel driven torque and they could be a problem for parts. Maybe someone else has additional info. But it is Cat and tough.
I heard about the diesel torque convertor i kinda want to take it apart and see how it works. Are they a problem?
I rechecked the # on it today, it is a 35a but a direct drive.
The 35A is similar to a direct drive only it has a torque converter instead of the conventional oil clutch plus a direct drive type transmission. It still has an oil clutch but it is unique to the torque converter drive.The torque converter fluid is the diesel fuel. In their day they were a pretty good unit with the extra torque from the converter being a bonus. The torque converter seals need to be monitored as they are designed to leak for cooling and there are limits as to how much. Also need to pay attention to fuel contamination as the heating and cooling of the fuel tends to draw moisture into the system.
Cool! Good info, thanks.
Is there a high failure rate on the diesel convertors? Do they leak internally or externally?
The torque converter is near bullet proof but you do have to keep an eye on the seal leakage. This is at the front and rear of the converter (main bearings/seals). The leakage is external although the drain lines were originally tied together. Makimum leakage recommended is 10 drops per minute per bearing at operating temp. If leakage gets to excesive and overwhelms the drains you risk flushing the lube out of the bearings. Do not do as some have done and plug the drain lines.
I was planning on using it as a backup fire cat, but fuel leaking into the belly pan isn't an optimal situation on a fire.
Might be good for setting back fires.