I was looking at bringing this D8 home, #9A1942 can some one identify this model? I'm not sure if it falls in the rd8, 2u, or 13a model units.
It might pay you to register on the ACMOC forum. There will be loads of people who can answer any question regarding machines from that era. https://www.acmoc.org/
Thanks Nige, but no one I know of has been able to access there new site after the updates. So I figured some one in here might know some about the F series with front unit.
There are a few members here who may be able to help you. Hopefully one of them will chime in.
About all I can find, nothing on a 9A though https://contractormag.co.nz/classic-machines/caterpillar-d8-tractor/
Give us more pictures. That serial number isn't making any sense.
Being a D8F would make it equivalent to the D8 14A which had the D342 at 191HP engine in it, and an oil clutch. I think the 9A was made for the US Military, but am not positive. I seem to remember that there was one discussed on ACMOC in the past. Should be around a 1957 year model. Old Magnet will check in soon and he should have some info on it.
That's correct, 9A1872 is a Military Number for a 14A3861-up D8 Direct Drive beginning 9A1301. Either 1956 or 7 year, can't quite make an accurate cross reference match.
" That's correct, 9A1872 is a Military Number " that makes sense, Some OD Green paint on the back of the blade. 14A it is. Today I was back out there and found a painted over tag on the left side. "United states army corps of engineers" The old widdow said it was shipped down from Alaska some time in what she thought was the mid 60's and her late husband used it to strip over burden off of gold mining sites here in sothern oregon. It hasn't ran in 13 years or so but the neighbor said the stack has been covered. She wants 3k and I dont plan on jewing her down one bit. Thank you guys for helping identify this 14A. Hopefully my next post will be a picture of it on a lowboy.
This is one of the things I like about this forum, the wide range of experience and knowledge that can be found here! Just for kicks I went on Flebay and did a search on that 14A3861 serial number and see there are many parts books available and at what seems reasonable prices. For Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caterpilla...743220&hash=item3d6a7da731:g:O9EAAOSwpcxbMEAr
I was on the ACMOC site this morning. Looked normal to me.
You have to change your password to log in. If you are like me and have changed emails you can not change your password so you can not log in.
9A1872 headed to her new home.