Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8 U-blade

Twisted ยท 2016-06-09 08:10

Do any of you have a rough idea on what a 13' U-blade from a D8 would weigh? Dozer arms included. Thanks.

Replies13
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2016-06-13 00:47

    The Cat book lists shipping weight of 11,800#, and that includes the arms as well as the cylinders.

  2. #2Twisted2016-06-14 23:46

    Thanks for the advice. We made it home safely today after a 4 hour round trip plus 1.5 hrs to cut and load. The loader operator told me 5 ton after we had cut some parts off so it all came home on my trailer. I'm guessing it was a bit more but not by much. I'm struggling with pics but I'll post them ASAP because we all like them.

  3. #3Twisted2016-06-14 23:57
  4. #4Twisted2016-06-15 00:00

    The arms were a bit over height and we needed some extra blocking so we made due. The dozer arms were going to get cut about there anyway so win-win.

  5. #5JDOFMEMI2016-06-20 13:53

    Looks like a blade for a D-8H, or a real early K What are you going to use it for that the arms need shortened?

  6. #6Twisted2016-06-20 14:16

    I'm going to put large flotation tires on the back of the arms and a hitch on the front making a heavy duty box blade for behind my 4wd tractor. I do a lot of agricultural ditching and this will work well for blending in terraces and such. Operating costs are less than my dozers and I can put almost anyone in the seat with little training where it takes much more time to train a good dozer operator. I bought it for just over scrap price and is is in pretty nice shape yet. I'll see if my plan works. I do need to source a corner bit as one is missing. The company sold an D8K last year so this could have been on that machine at one time.

  7. #7JDOFMEMI2016-06-20 14:34

    That is interesting. Please share the progress when you put it together. I like people that think outside the box.

  8. #8Twisted2016-06-20 15:24

    Thanks for the interest. I have an old JD 6601 pull-type combine that has bolt-on spindles. That will be the donor for hubs and tires. I want to make it 4-way (tilt) and am back and forth on leaving each arm independent or to lock them together and build a tilting axle on the back. I believe the latter will have better control so that is my intention right now. I'm hoping to get it done this summer. It would be a better winter shop project but I don't have a forklift big enough to lift it so I'll be doing this one outside. I'm not good at remembering to take pics but I'll try when the time comes. A local farmer has a factory built one that is 16' I believe and pulls it with a 500hp Quad Track. He loves it. This blade will be all my 280hp Steiger can handle but I'm going to build it heavy enough that I can hook anything to it without worries.

  9. #9redneckracin2016-06-21 07:43

    Very cool project and I'm gonna follow this one along.

  10. #10Twisted2016-06-26 11:18

    I finally got a machine home yesterday to unload my recently acquired chunk of iron. This might take a while as I'll do it outside and between construction projects.

  11. #11Andrew_D2016-06-26 13:34

    Here's a similar project: http://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/64-fabrication-diy-repair/247521-winter-shop-project.html Andrew

  12. #12colson042016-06-26 17:06

    I love these kinds of projects. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

  13. #13Andrew_D2016-06-26 17:39

    Here's some pics I saved of one someone was selling on kijiji. Andrew