Hey guys. I'm looking at a d8H that a friend has in south tx. It hasn't been used but a few hrs in last few yrs. I haven't went to check it out yet but am told it runs and shifts good, u/c at 80% or so, no rippers. The guy is asking 20k just to get it sold. This sound about fair? I gave 25k for my 977L that's in real good shape. I'm not a huge operation but do take some large jobs (big ponds, erosion control lakes) compared to the competition in the area because largest dozer around is a d6r. It's obviously gonna take a lot more to move an 8h around from job to job than the 977. My question is..... Is the 8h worth the money vs run what I have? I'm already running the largest machine in my and surrounding counties. I believe I can keep enough work for it.... The 77 stays busy... Anybody have any opinions on an 8H? :beatsme
Like any piece of equipment, if its looked after it can make money, there have been a few contractors who made a living with them dozers, it will break down, but so do the new ones, a lot more little things to go wrong with the newer machines.
They'll move an amazing amount of material in a day, adequate power and unlike the 8K usually didn't have enough extra power to hurt themselves. If it doesn't have a winch or ripper on the back she may be a bit nose heavy. $20K sounds like a good deal if there's no obvious major defects.
The words that worry me here are "a friend". Who has friends in this business..? Generally contacts fall into 2 categories, acquaintances or "people we know", I know I do. Can you get the tractor independently checked out by a independent 3rd party mechanic to satisfy both buyer and seller to know what they're getting into..?
slightly off topic, but... When i dont have the time and frequently asked "do you know someone who can?" i usually pull somthin out of my a-- because i sure as hell aint gonna recommend the neighbor!
I started out running a D-8H, and I liked it better than the D-8K's we had. They are basically good machines, and without the troubles of modern electrically infected machines. For work in a remote area or where you are on your own for repairs and maintenance, I feel you will be better off with one of these than a newer one. The worst problem to have on one is a final drive problem. That is probably the biggest repair side from the engine. If the finals have problems, watch out, but if they are sound, and the tractor runs out good, it is probably a good deal for you. D-8H's were made for many years, and went through many upgrades. The highest serial number made is a little over 34,000 and the ones from around 25,000 and up are the best of the group. Some guys on here have more specific info, on them. With no rippers on it, the dozer won't be a lot heavier than your 977, but it will definitely be wider. Good luck if you get it.
If you have any specific questions, look up TcTractors on here, he is very well skilled on these dozers,
Perhapse, I can help some as I manage to get a fair bit of work still off these beasts, the engines are a bit coin heavy to rebuild but can put out massive hours with regular fettling, the fan/hub and bracket bolts need checking also the oil coolers need stripping every 18 months and cleaning the water tubes, the transmissions are easy to rebuild with plenty of none O.E. bits about, the rear engine mounts also need checking often, the F/Drives are not to bad to work on I enjoy doing them as most of the bits are heavy so I dont have to lift much myself,the most important thing is the start up and shut down of the engine allow 10 mins at least each way on this point, also dont let it run out of fuel with the engine hot as the heads will crack, for the cost of these tractors the amount of work they can do they are top value mounts, stick a CCU on the back case and invest in a 463 bin to tug about then go and earn some coins. tctractors
Without a doubt the 46A series was one of the best machines overall that Cat ever built. As was mentioned it lacks all the computer junk todays machines are carrying around.
Another thing to consider is how you will move the Cat. You are getting into serious weight so if you would be going anywhere that is not flat, I would be thinking about a truck with serious HP and gears. Also, a heavy low-boy is needed. You might be in a situation where travel permits and bridge restrictions could come into play too.
The value of these machines is directly related to the amount of undercarriage left. A new undercarriage replaced at a dealer will run somewhere north of $35,000. Replacing it yourself with aftermarket parts is probably a little over half that. The biggest problem I find with the machines is the final drives are leaking, are overfull or there is no oil in them at all. Most of those level and fill plugs have a hex drive to open them up instead of a 3/4 square drive so make sure you have the right tool before you go look at the monster. I have a large chisel and hammer I sometimes have to use to get them open as the last time checked, they were cranked down hard. Check the auction numbers for those machines on MachineryTrader to get a feel for the markets. Average auction for the last ninety days is around $17,500.
They are good brutes once you have thrown some dollors at them with an experienced repair man.They will allways need something fixing on them at the weekend(if they limp on that long) and they will cause you some headache.I started off with a 1970 model back in 1989.Back in 2001 I retired from D8's when I got married(they will upset a woman) and I sold my seventh D8H. However I have bought more in the last few years as I can't seem to do without them.My ninth D8H is currently in the sick bay but any money thrown at it will be easily recouped by working it or selling it. These 40 year old machines hold great resale values and are allways sought after.Go and buy it but brace yourself to spend money on it until you have mastered it's weak spots. Tracks are expensive must haves.Engines and transmissions can limp you about with some carefull nursing until it's earned enough money to pay for some reinvestment.Final drives can last for years with weeping top pinion seals but any other final drive leaks need to be looked at in a hurry.They can bankrupt the tractor if ignored. If you keep a good radiator,clean coolers and a strong transmission pump near it,you won't go far wrong.
thanks for all the input guys and alot of good points brought up. The "friend" is a family acquaintance that has always been a strait shooter. Hes told me to come check it out and i can push with it as long as id like to test the machine. im thinking about taking my mechanic that helps with my big repairs as he is very experienced with older cat track tractors. Moving it is a concern because i hire all my heavy hauling out.(anything over 56k) but mainly the 14 ft blade is gonna be a challenge.When i go to check it out i plan on sampling all fluids, radiator condition, the old big pry bar to the final test to see if i can find some slack.... not sure it will work in such big machine. As was said about electronics or lack of is my favorite part about older machines. From all of the pictures I've seen the undercarriage looks in really good shape but will be a huge factor in buying . I ll try to post some pics soon and keep you posted. Please feel free to throw any other details out that could be useful. There is so much good knowledge and experience here on HEF. Thanks again guys.
Anybody know the weight of the blade and arms on a d8h? It's a 14 ft semi u.
A blade s/n would help. If 13' -9" width works it's 12,100 lbs.
You never know , it wont break till youget in there deep.
Is that just the blade weight ? Or push arms included?
Parts manual only lists one "U" blade weight which is probably for a full "U" blade only. There is another "U" blade, C-frame mount style but no weight given. Get me a blade s/n and I can dig deeper.