I have a 46a that I’m doing a front main seal on and the crank bolt won’t budge. Book says left hand thread as would common sense but I’ve got some conflicting info from a cat tech saying it’s right hand. Wanted to check with the pros here because it hasn’t been the first time a the book or a tech was wrong.
According to the info I can see the 2B-4705 Bolt is 5/8" diameter UNF and LH thread.
Thanks Nige. Gonna put the big wrenches on it today and see if I can get it apart.
you gonna need a hefty puller to pop the balancer off too they can be tuff
I’ve done a couple of these on my D8H’s over the years,or should say,watched the fitter do them!. I’ve never had trouble getting the bolt off,but the pulley can be easily damaged. It’s possible to place two seals in there depending on what wear is on your crankshaft seal path.I’m sure there was a brand that overcame this issue?Chicago Bear Path seals ring a bell. TC Tractors would know better than me
The Seal group comes with its Steel wear sleeve with Chicago Rawhide as 1 possible supplier, the Steel sleeve is removed using an upsetting tool that when twisted puts a line in the sleeve, I put 3 lines in the sleeve and it spins out easily, the U.K. built 68A (Powershift) bolt is standard right hand thread, the pulling holes in the front dampener are from standard if I recall correctly 1/2" UNC, but these holes can often be found to be re-cut to 5/8" or even 3/4" as pressing off the Dampener can be fun, I do have the seal installer tooling but it is nothing to fancy and could be made simply, the seal and the sleeve is fitted in 1 operation. p.s. I use an 1" drive socket on a flogging bar to undo the bolt, a good smack and you are on to a winner.