Hey guys, i bought a D8H s/n 46A23068 that im going through before it goes into the feild. All oils, filters and screens are being changed, cylinders resealed and so on. I run all cheveron Delo products in my equipment and need a little information. The manuals call for 30w engine oil in motor and trans in the D8. Ive always used a TO-4 spec 30w drivetrain fluid from cheveron in my 977L. For the sake of a single oil on hand and so nobody mixes it up can this be used in the D8 or is a strait 30w engine oil required. Would anyone be able to track down the year of this machine?
This machine has the funny looking arched ROPS that I don't seem to see many of. Was this only a few year design?
Year is 1970. ROPS is a little different with those rear braces but overall style is fairly common. 30 wt TO-4 in the drive train is the preferred way to go with current motor oil to slippery for clutches. Stay with the 30 wt motor oil in the engine but some will argue for 15-40.
Old Magnet, On my 36A, I used "heavy duty" straight 30wt engine oil in my transmission-bevel-steering clutch cases... 50.00 for 5 gallons vs 77.00 for TO-4. Will I destroy my steering clutches in light use?... many people said stay with the standard 30wt diesel engine oil "this oil was recomended for older engines" it is a detergent oil... Do you think I will be OK with this?, Tim.
With limited use and little risk of slipping clutches under load your probably ok with the engine oil in clutch compartments but current spec would preferred.
Thanks again OM, I have NOT changed the flywheel clutch oil yet... The oil was full and very clean looking on the stick, not milky like the transmission. When I change it, I will use TO-4. When I run the tractor, everything works well, no slippage when steering in 5th gear. After the diesel flush, the oil has stayed clean also.Tim
Thanks old magnet, thats the answer i was looking for. I want to buy a single drum of oil for this thats common to the 977L. Correct me if im wrong but the finals also run same 30w and a 46A machine will have final filters?
46A's should have SAE 50 in the finals any yes each final has suction screen, pump and filter. I don't seem to have the specs on the 977L but I believe they run SAE 50 in the finals as well.
Finally getting back to work on the D8, question is should i go ahead and drain t/c when i drain transmission oil for a completly fresh start?
You need to clean the screen on the torque divider so the cover needs to be drained. Might as well change the hose on the transmission magnetic screen too. Replace all the seals and gaskets.If you don't have a maintenance & operation book you need one. Bob
That rops on the d8h could be a Rome manufactured brand. They made some with the angled braces.