I am converting an old D8h C-frame to fit a D8k. The problem I am having is finding the trunnion balls (cat part # 8J9864 and 8J9863). The CAT dealer here can get them at a price of a little over $600 each. That is outrageous! Any of you guys have an old C-Frame your not using and want to part with the trunnions or the whole thing please let me know. The style of C-frame I am converting has the brackets that pin through the hydraulic rams. I need to add the trunnions so it will fit my D8k. Any help would be appreciated!
I think you can buy them after market.Where in Cal.I don't know.Try a salvage yard might find some good ones there.
http://www.actparts.com/ Might also try G00Gling heavyquip, try the parts search on Machinerytrader.com....we have a poster here for American Independent who might be able to help. http://americanindependentinc.com/ From California. Further help might be found on the Caterpillar forums on the net... http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/ and http://www.acmoc.org/bb/ There are lots of others..do a liitle inernet searching. Some of the other guys here will probably chime in too. Hope this helps, Alan
http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...artNum=&PST=Starts&fullsearch=D8H+CATERPILLAR I tried one of your part numbers and it referenced to the serial numbers of Cat #12 grader...might want to re-check them. Best of luck to you! Alan
My old aftermarket parts book shows a 5J4321 number for the Trunnion ball...fits D8, D8H, D9, D7E. Should not be a problem to get.
Thanks for all the help. The part numbers that I got 8J9864 and 8J9863 were from the parts manual from a 8a C-frame with a serial number of 28e. I think they are right. I am not sure how they would fit a motor grader? After doing some more research does anyone know if the old style trunnion ball that has a pin through the center will fit on a newer D8K lift ram? If it will then my problem is solved. I will just have a set of trunnions laying around for when I need to use my older C-frame.
Your 8J9864/3 are LH and RH units that wouldn't be required for the old C-frame mount trunion balls only. In my 28E4839-up blade parts book they still call for a 5J4321 trunion (2). Maybe your numbers include the mounting plate which could explain the LH & RH numbers. I'd need the c-frame blade serial number to check the pin but a 2J3271 seems pretty common.