Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8k will not steer

The Nigerian ยท 2014-05-20 08:59

The old girl moves forward and backwards in a straight line but will not turn right or left. brake bands are ok, but no oil is coming into the transmission pump ergo the steering valve under the Tank, I am not sure where next to look for transmission oil or what to blame.

Replies8
  1. #1Bob/Ont2014-05-20 09:07

    Check trans filter and magnetic screen, then do a complete trans pressure test including the steering release pressures. Might be low trans pressure or may be bevel gear bearing failure. Later Bob

  2. #2The Nigerian2014-05-20 09:17

    Thanks Bob, but this is Nigeria and the equipment to do the pressure tests are rare in the cities and endangered in the bush where we are. I actually removed the transmission filter alltogether and still noting happened

  3. #3Nige2014-05-20 10:27

    Has the problem started suddenly, or has the steering been getting worse for a while and now has simply stopped working...? I'm with Bob, you need to try to get hold of some pressure gauges from somewhere. I appreciate your position (I've worked in the African bush myself) but this is when time when you really need to see some pressures.

  4. #4The Nigerian2014-06-17 08:00

    Just to thank you for all your contributions and suggestions, the old girl is steering perfectly, it turned out that most of the O ring seals on the feed end of the transmission pump from the transmission filter casing all the way to the bottom of the final drive were flat and as soon as they were replaced the the equipment started steering even with the old pump we thought was faulty.

  5. #5Nige2014-06-17 08:36

    Hot oil does strange things to O-Rings over long periods of time.

  6. #6nicky 68a2014-06-17 16:05

    If that's all it took to cure it,well done.Do you have the lottery numbers?

  7. #7Nige2014-06-17 16:38

    If not, buy some tickets PDQ.

  8. #8DPete2014-06-17 17:08

    No kidding! last time I had a K do that we had to go into the steering clutch pistons, course we had to have cross shaft bearings too, brakes and la de da & so on and so on, cost me $14K USD