Hi just after some advice, our D8L has been run with loose segment bolts (by a previous owner I must add) what is the best repair method as the holes have become elongated. I thought the cheapest fix would be to get the holes re drilled between the existing holes. Also when removing the F/D do I need special tooling/pullers to get the f/d casing off the main spigot shaft. Any help would be greatly appreciated Steve
Steve, the final drive comes off complete with no need for pullers or tooling. Basically what you need is a forklift or telehandler where you can get in under the fender to grab hold of the unit and be able to pull it straight back. It is pretty heavy - about 1 ton give or take. If you want the complete procedure drop me a PM with the machine S/N and your email address. To repair the oval holes you can either drill new holes in between the existing ones or if there is only 1 segment involved (5 bolt holes?) then why not have them welded up and re-drilled in the same place..?
Yair . . . I once saw a procedure in a shop where some fellers had turned up a centre for a D7 sprocket and were doing the layout with dividers for redrilling between flogged out holes . . . it made my method of tacking on the segments and using the holes to pilot the mag base drill look a little crude. (hesitant grin) Incidentally, (in my opinion) flogged out holes in a sprocket are almost inexcusable and loose segments should be spotted at the daily crawl through and inspection . . . I do note the O/P acquired the problem. Most folks wouldn't remember setting up a jig and putting the tractor in gear to mark the cut line for cutting off the rim before the days of bolt on segments. What fun that was. Cheers.