Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8N recommended fluids?

Alberta Cowman ยท 2018-03-03 19:59

I just brought home a D8N 9TC and have a set of service, parts, and operator manuals on order. I was wondering if anyone had a list of recommended fluids for transmission, hydraulics, final drives, and pivot shaft as the manuals are a week or so away. I tried google and seemed to strike out. I'm coming from a D6C direct drive so this is all new to me and quite a change. Anything else a guy should know about these units? Thanks.

Replies5
  1. #1catman132018-03-03 22:37

    call Cat

  2. #2Nige2018-03-04 03:29

    Here's an extract from the manual. With no experience of what works in your location I'm not keen on recommending what viscosity to actually use.

  3. #3Alberta Cowman2018-03-04 12:06

    Thanks Nige. I've been running a TDTO-TMS (multi viscosity) oil in the transmission and axles of a 928G and undercarriage of a Challenger for a few years and am switching my D6C transmission over to it also. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need something exotic for the D8N. Thanks.

  4. #4Nige2018-03-04 12:43

    The problem is that the recommendations contained in the D8N O&M Manual appear to be somewhat outdated. The screen dump I posted above is probably about 30 years old and as far as I can see hasn't been updated from what was flavour of the month at that time, sooooo..........today Engine oil would be an API CH-4, CI-4, or CJ-4. Transmission TO-4, pivot shaft & recoil spring compartment ditto. I have no experience of multigrade TO-4, only monograde, so can't comment. Hydraulics SAE 10W HYDO or TO-4. As I said above you really need to figure out the viscosities for each different compartment based on your ambient conditions.

  5. #5Alberta Cowman2018-03-09 20:57

    Thanks Nige. Ended up going with the multi weight TDTO in the transmission, pivot shaft, and recoil spring. The hydraulics I used a 10 W HYDO.