Hi everyone! Starting a new thread about my modeling for the last 8 years (not active all that time). A lot of years ago I built a Cat 992 wheel loader, R/C in 1/10 scale. During the following years the modeling was mostly trains (yes, americans) but I always whanted to try a new big model again. Well, 10 years ago I saw my friends Cat 988B, and this was the starting point for my new model. This model can be seen on Youtube on this link: YouTube - Modell av Caterpillar hjullastare, i skala 1:6,5 CAT D8N was choosen, during the building it was changed to the D8R model instead. Nowdays there are both D8R seriesII and D8T, have not decided if I should go for the seriesII version, the T is out of question, don´t like the fenders! Basicly difference between the 2 R models, seriesII has an track roller on upside of track frame (guess someone out there knows more about the difference). About the scale, it´s 1 to 5.6 . Why, because when planning for the model, I thought that there should be some comercial available track/chain that could be used. 1,5" pincenter on chain are a standard and when translated to pincenter on D8R , that´s where 1to5,6 comes from! Well, ended up not finding anything that looked like the original so had to do them from scratch. Had already made drawing on the model so did stick to this scale. Today I´m regretting this choise, have big problem to fit everthing inside that small car body. The track had to be drawn in computer, yes had to learn CAD first, all parts was spot welded togheter first and then brazed. This will give a strong track/plate design that will cope with the tractors pull (I hope). If my calculation is right, the model will have a pull/push of aprox 500lbs (if ground condition allows). End of a lot of talk, here comes pics how it started! I will post more pics during next days. Keep up modeling! Dan
Välkommen, Remember your friends 988 model from Maskin-expo trade show many years ago, looked good. What engine will you have in it? Any pics of your 992 model? I'm sure you've seen this thread, http://www.gardentruckingforum.com/YaBB.pl?num=1218407527
Hi Per, it will be a Honda G100 4-stroke engine. As can be seen on pic I had to adapt the inlet and will build a muffler as big as possible under the hood. Have also included a pic of a very young me with the 992 during the build. That was an electrical driven model with working hydraulics. Had almost no tools/machines at that time, the bucket was formed in a stair in my parents house, clamping down and bending it in small steps! As said before I have made a lot of drawing in CAD, reason, it give the possibility to cut part with laser. It takes maybee the same amount of time to produce parts but I like using the technology of today. But the blade was built completely from sheet metal, same as 463, no laser parts on that! Thanks for reading. Dan
Very impressive work Dan. This all looks so familiar for some reason. lol That is huge, you have a lot of steel in it. It will last for ever. Nice loader, btw.
Dan That is some good looking work you have done. The engine is a tight fit in there, but it looks like you will have plenty of oomph to move some serious dirt. I will be looking forward to your updates. Thank you for sharing with us here at HEF
Hi, here´s a pic of my model at a local show last year. First time shown here and got a lot of positive comments. Behind me is my Pete359, used to haul my historical equipment to shows. This year (I hope), I will have my Rogers lowboy trailer behind. As mentioned above, i do some parts in CAD, here the result of some hours behind computer (sorry, didn´t have a jpeg on this only pdf) designing the ripper. Dan
Some amazing talent on this forum thanks for posting I am envious of the talent here.:drinkup:notworthy
Hi, adding some more pics from my model. Track frames was built with some laser cut items combined with hand made parts. The wheels to all boggies was made in solid steel, 12 in total. Front beam between the track frame was also done in my milling machine, when connected to the frames, it can swing just like the real one. There will be some rubber pads on the the 4 boggies on each side, guess the operator will have a smoth ride! have a nice evening Dan
Hi, some more photo´s showing the progress. Please note that those pics has been taken during some time, not showing my work last weeks only! The hydralics is filling up inside space pretty good. Under the 2 pumps will be one oil tank, another will be what normaly (1:1) is used as fuel tank. I need as much oil as possible due to the hydrostatic drive line.
More pics. The cab and the other components was made by a friend :notworthy from my CAD drawings. As said before, what you put into CAD hours , you gain in time when fabricating parts. But, I do both ways, like my scraper and the blade are made only with hand tools. Parts like the hood (over 650 holes) had been very time consuming to do manually and I couldn´t done it. Even the laser cutting took some time so price tag on this part was a hefty $200, but I think it was worth it, it will both be a part that has function ventilating the engine room and will atract wiewer. Have a nice evening! Dan
keep the pics coming, looks good!
Hi everyone, as the title says, I´m also building a 463 to be hauled behind the D8R. This scraper is planned to be finished within 2 month, still has to do some smaller works on home made hydraulic cylinders (have had problems finding small nice connections, will make my own) and then some sandblasting and painting. The rims will be rebuilt later. The D8R will have disconnectable hydraulic hoses to the ripper so I can run the scraper with same valves as ripper (planned to keep ripper on machine when using scraper). Incl also a pic from my friend Peter that has a D8R II with a 463. You can see photos on his machine in action at this link. http://www.classicmachinery.net/forum/scrapers-f49/scraper-job-in-stockholm-t3290.html have a nice weekend Dan
Awesome! I will deffiently be following this thread, can't wait to see completed. THat 988 loader video is impressive.
I am totally impressed, looking foreward to pics and hopefully video when complete
Awesome machining! Do you make your hydraulic cylinders and pumps? Scott
Hi Scott, I do use comercial available products if the look right (when seen outside machine), the pumps are 6litre/min at 1500rpm each( will not be seen). Had to change from a 3 pump system to new smaller 2 pump system during building, space inside machine was to small. Cylinders that you can buy over disk do not look right, to bulky at ends. I do my own cylinder but use same tubing and rods that commercial producer use. The ends are designed to look like prototype. Shown here are cylinders for the 463, the long one for pusher plate in bowl and 2 shorter for higher-lower bowl. Still missing the cyl for apron. I use a cylindric head for these, origin was cable operated so prototype differ from scraper to scraper. the other heads are for ripper and blade control at D8, the ripper has 2 cylinders with 8 side shaped heads and 2 with 6 side shaped heads. Those cylinders will look exact like the prototype. There are smaller cylinders available from some German manufactors but they are rated for 10-13 bar pressure, that´s not enough for a 5,6 scale model. I will use about 50 bar pressure in my hydraulic system. One step aside from looking like prototype is my quick coupling at the rear of machine. have found small samples (10mm in diameter) that has double shut off. Since I will use both ripper and scraper this is a compromice that I had to do to get reliable function. Will post pics when cylinders are finished. Nice weekend to You all! Dan
Very impressive!!! Alot of time is going in this project!
Excellent work...i can imagine how much time you have spent ! Very talented....wow
Hi, some updates on the project. Cylinders have taken much longer time than expected. Still has some parts to do but I can see the end in this. First pics shows some connections that will be used, the Y-ones will be to ripper cylinders and they will be mounted on quick couplings (see in left corner, only 10mm in diameter and good for 35bar). The same coulings will be used for scraper, 2 double functions (apron connected to rear wall cylinder). Second pics shows todays work, painting the main components of the 463. It´s painted in one of 3 different CAT colors I have, by the way, do anyone have correct paint code for CAT D8R 2004 model? The front tires was removed from rims, the rims had to be cut down, was to wide. The rims edges has also been modified to simulate the heavier look that those rims have in full scale. We have a local machinery show here in Stockholm within 2 weeks, trying to get as much as possible togheter to this exibition. Have a nice weekend Dan
Dan ,you must be one of the most talented guys int the model building world!
Thanks for all the comments, since I´m a desk top guy 9-5, I try to work as much as possible with my hands (well have to use the brain to when modeling) during spare time. Without any training in metalwork I try to learn from what others have done and not to be afraid to try new things. About colors, the CAT color on 463 was to yellow so I repainted yesterday (now according to CAT´s paint code for current models). Honest, I liked the first color more, think the new one is to dark, to brown, but it should be a correct one. Since the 463 will be towed behind my D8R I wanted to have same color on both. Maybee the paint looks darker on a smaller model?? Did take same pics inside workshop with or without flash, the color changes dramaticly! Will check to the real one with a paintchip. The cylinder work will take most of this weekend to, hope to have them done within a week. Dan
Jag har en korrekt färgkod från akzo nobel om du vill ha den, "nyaste" catgula Beställer färg därifrån när jag bättringsmålar maskiner.
Per, I have a Berkley code 1156 that should be CAT yellow used today. Please send your Akzo code and I will check with my supplier. Dan
Sikkens LV250 topcoat, mixcode FLSV11156
Last update before this weekends construction show in Stockholm. All main component are ready för 8 hydraulic cylinders. From left to right are: -blade cylinder -2x2 ripper cylinders -2 lifting cylinders for 463 -pushing cylinder for 463 Still missing is another 3 cylinders, the 2 lift cylinders for blade and one for apron on 463. Have not found tubing in right dimensions yet for those. All have been cleaned and ready to be glued togheter (yes I will glue them) have had good expirence of that when buildning models before. Will use a glue Araldite 2014 designed for metal to metal and capable to withstand oils and chemicals. Did also check the blade togheter with arm to keep blade in position. The oversized bolts between arm and blade will be changed to something more prototype looking. More pics to come after show. Dan
Your model is coming together nicely. How was the show? Scott
Hi Scott (and all others), the show was good, the old stuffs got a lot of attention, as usual. My models was well recived to, amazing how many people that could show models progress during last years with photos in their mobiles. This was the second time I showed the models public, first time with both D8 and 463 togheter (for me to since I keep them at different places). A common question is "when will we see them running", last year I said within 2 years, this year I had to say maybee 1,5 year. Everything takes longer time now, the macine is so filled up in body. There will also be added all details like lightning, steps , handles to the machine. I will take it a little slower from now, my 1:1 equipment needs some attention to. Dan
Wow Dan, I was hoping it wouldn't be that long before you had it up and running, I'm ready to see what it can do. Very nice work.
thanks Joe, possitive comment makes me try harder, but as most people, I have other things that takes my time. But looking at others fellows modeling, like yours, make me also try harder. The 1.5 years of complition time is based on how long time some components did take last winter, like cylinders. And speaking of cylinders, was not shure if gluing was right after all, the tilt cylinders rear part didn´t hardened as it should so I built a test stand. It had been more time efficient to buy a 600lbs scale but this was $250, with the 200lbs at $25, I had to spend a 2 hour in shop making the test rig (scale shows 1/3 of force at cylinder). It turned out that the only one that failed the 600lbs test was the tilt cylinder, so it will have the rear end changed. Why testing with 600lbs? To be on the safe side when running the model, there will be a force in cylinder as high as 500lbs (50bar oil pressure) and I don´t want a breaking cylinder with oil all over the model. Now I know that it will work. Thanks again for visiting and making comments, I appriciate it:notworthy Dan (did try to upload a pic with test rig but if failed, don´t know why)
I know what you mean about not being able to post pics any more. It doesn't seem to mater anyway, but I would like to see the rest of your build. You should post your work on Gardentruckingforum.com. it would be a big hit over there. Keep up the good work. Dan
Thanks for the comments, still slow activity in model workshop, need to take care of house during summer. Tries to upload pic of test stand for the cylinders. there´s also 2 pic from my friend (same as 988B in video) and his new model, a Volvo A35E in 1:6,5 scale Dan
Amazing
Great work WOW
un-believable! I just had to make a post in this thread so I would rememeber to check on it. Great work, Very talented.....if you dont mind me asking, what is it that you do 9am-5pm?
Please dont take this post as critisism, but i am surprised there is not a little deisel motor made to take the place of the gas honda ? Pj
They do make little diesel engines but I don't know if finding a hyd pump to work with one would be possible.
Thanks for all comments, About diesel engines, believe me I have looked for one that are same size as the gasoline ones, but all diesels are bigger (comparing engine size). The dozer had to be built in 1:4 scale to make room for a diesel. Connection between engine and pump is the same (maybe different adaptors) so that´s no problem. My Honda is an 85cc and this one is too big but with modification on inlet and exhaust side and removing all unnecessary parts like fuel tank that comes with engine I have managed to get it in. Still has to prove that cooling is sufficient, the Honda takes air in front of engine and pushes it rearwards (and up thru all holes in engine hood. In 1:1 it is the reverse, pushing air out in front of machine. This Honda has a built in gearbox, with 3000rpm on engine (max torque) gives 1500rpm to pumps. 9-5 Well, I´m working in a marketing department on one of truck builder in Sweden, Scania. This brand is not so know in states but i guess there is a 500+ trucks running in north eastern states (Scania is on top ten lists of truck manufacturers worldwide). I have been at this company for 29 years now, 17 of them working with sales to customer. But it is my interest for technical solutions (also useful for a salesman) that pushes my model building to higher level for each model. Next model will be with more gearboxes and other new skills that have to be learned, I try to live with “you learn as long you live”! Update on D8R Working with the drawing on front guards, this 2 doors will be operational (has to be), need to open to start the engine. I would like to have an electrical starter but there´s no room left for it or a battery. The front shield parts will be laser cut and tin soldered together. Have started looking for R/C to the model, Futaba /robbe has one called FC-16 that looks good with programming possibilities, anyone having any experience from this radio? The need to steer both tracks with same or different speed/direction shall be possible to program into one of the joy sticks. The other one will be used for blade or ripper control. Have a nice Sunday Dan
Hi, finally some modeling done, have had a very warm summer to be in Sweden but now it has chilled down. Did testmounting of cab doors and got all cab solder togheter (a new expirience). Was out taking some messurments on a 1:1 CAT this afternoon, got pics on machine togheter with 463. If they will run tomorrow I will take some hours off from work and go and see them working togheter. Will try to get some video coverage and will try to post on Youtube (have never done it before). next step is to make the hydraulics complete (mount all connections and hoses, build oiltank in machine, detailing the cab, final fabrication on hubreductions, .......................and so on). Enjoy pics on the real one! Dan
Thanks for the update. I have been following since you first posted, and your project is looking good. The 1:1 version is very clean looking. First time I have seen a scraper hooked up with the ripper still attached.
gulalastbilen; Man you have some real talent just love the pics thankyou Leroy:drinkup
Did some progress this week, cab door lockers made and the front doors
Sharp looking grille. Looks like a lot of work.
Simply amazing craftmanship! When Its all finished, it looks like you could actually go out and put in a new garden. Very cool.
Yes, that´s what I intend to do, destroy (I say remake to my wife) the garden. Did get the front doors installed, the work like the real ones, will use doors to start engine. The door handle will also work
Latest additon, the ROPS for the cab. Tubing coming out is breater lines for hydralic and fuel tank. Sorry guys, can not get the upload of pics working:Banghead Don´t know if I´m stupied, it has worked before
New try on uploading photo´s Nope, didn´t work this time either. Don´t know what´s happen when graffic design changed on this forum, but adding photo´s can not be made same as on other forums. You can follow progress on this link http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=456 Dan
very VERY impressive work...ive been building scale rc rock crawlers for some years now and this just blows me away thats gotta be a TON of fun to run
Hi Dan, This is the first time I've seen your thread, its real impressive I hope it works out ok. Neil
New pics posted, see link on comment #46 above Dan
I am constantly amazed at the detail you have put into this dozer. Anyone who wants to seed a work of art needs to spend an hour looking through the build as documented in his link back in post 46. It is worth the time. Simply amazing. Thanks for the update.
Can't register on that link. On the random question I have spelled radio controlled every way I can think off. Anyone know the trick?
Thanks for the comments ! The register is not open all the time due to junk mail. Try at different times, looks like open today, atleast one new member. looking at different treads should be open for non-member to. Dan
Not for me,tried again.
Savage, skip the first side and those pics, from side 2 it should be possible to see all, incl pics. You do n ot need to be a member to read the treads. Dan
A question... I followed this story (because that is what it has became to me.. a wonderful story) here and then it moved to the RC Truck and Construction Forums.. There it seems to have stalled.. Does anybody know of a continuation thread ..and more important is the builder OK.. I apologize for asking here but I can't register for some reason in the RCTandC forums.. I have tried several times and never get the conformation email and all threads are locked to posting..
Hi everyone, yes I´m fine but modeling has been slow during summer time. Will start up again within 1 or 2 weeks with dismantling the machine and starting to finish all parts before reassemble it. Still hope to get it running during next year. I did stop posting progress here due to problem with pictures handling. I know there was some spam problem at RCT, they had to limit the access, but try again! Thanks again for the concern, Dan
Hey.. thanks for answering.... Glad all is Ok and I cannot wait to see new updates.. I'm talentless ..lol ..so I live by the talents of yourself and the many others here and there.. I did finally get shown as registered at the other place but still cannot post.. might take time I guess..