I should have picked a more origolal name? Found a D9 18A the current owner quit using it 5 or 6 years ago when it statred leaking cooling water into the oil , Just wondering if anybody has had any luck pulling the liners without wrecking them. and any more 18A info would be aperciated thanks Jim
I'm sure Cat had a puller arrangement or had it supplied by O.T.C. years ago. I have heard of people using a hydraulic jack from below. I would post your question on the ACMOC forum and you will definitely get your answer. http://www.acmocbb.org/ACMOC_BB/forumdisplay.php?f=4 Several other places to leak coolant so don't pull the liners until you are sure. I don't remember Cat ever having a problem with liner sealing on these engines. There is a member on that forum, SJ, who is a retired service manager, and very knowledgeable. That forum has changed format recently and still has the old original forum for reference/search. Phil
Thanks Phil. I will check the water pump oil cooler etc first, and am waiting for my reg. to come thru on the AMOC site. I should have been more clear on my post and asked if liner leaks were a problem on this engine. 'cause I allway eliminate the easy stuff first. This one we have to buy as is where is so I am trying to get what info i can before jumping in ( the cat dealer told the current owner that it was probably liner o-rings over the phone I think with out much info)
http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/ACME/Portal.asp Check in with the guys here too. Between the two forums we'll help you out! Alan627b
Thanks alan i'll be there as soon as my reg gets confirmed
Glad to help. Merry Christmas. Alan627b
Precombustion chamber would be the first place I'd look. Edit- Upon looking more closely at the original question, I see that the water's going in the oil, so that rules out the precup idea. Oil cooler's the first place I'd look, is what I meant to say
Many, many older Cat engines have had problems with oil coolers letting go. It's one of those "if I had a dollar for every one I've changed" deals. An old Cat, one that has sat a lot, or has not had decent coolant in the system could have leaking liner seals, or pinholed liners. Not as common a problem with Cat's, but still there to be checked if nothing else shows up. Don't forget the water pump either. Pushing liners out can be done on some cylinders, but the hard bar makes it difficult to impossible to do from below on the others, particularly those in the rear. Hauling them out from the top is much prefered using the right diameter puller tool. Using a home made tool may damage the liner or the bore. Once removed, a lot of wire brush work is required to get rid of rust and scale, then you would need to inspect very closely for pits and cracks in both the old liners and the block. Good Luck!
I should post clearer ideas I should have gone into more detail on the origonal post; I talked to the machines owner about buying the D9 18a and he told me that it was leaking water into the pan. He said it had been losing coolant for a while but didn't know where it was going. so they drained it and just filled it with water when they were going to use it. The last time he filled the rad he found water getting into the oil. he said they didn't start it after that just drained it. as posted earlier the local cat dealer told him it was probably liner o-rings. I had also considered the oil cooler. My brain must have been in Cummins mode because I forgot about the gear dreivn water pump. We can buy the D9 for scrap price. but we pretty much have to get it running where it sits. We hope to use it to build a road into a piece of land we have about 5 miles away from where the machine sits. Our main stumble now is its 1000 miles from where we live. So I want as much wisdom as I can gather before we go.